Annoyed10111
Level 1: Cadet

Mobile broadband

I am moving to a Melb residence that does not have NBN or access to broadband. Apparently mobile broadband is the next best option.

Will I receive a modem if I sign up to a Upfront Data plan so as I can connect my tv, laptop and iPad to the wifi?
thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Mobile broadband

Mobile broadband is in effect a much better  service than NBN.

Yes, you can connect all your services to mobile Broadband.

I recommend from 5 1/2 years of mobile broadband experience  that you subscribe to the 4GX service which is a proven trouble and bug free technology and get a Nighthawk M2 modem.

Remove the battery and use it on power.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Annoyed10111

Thanks so much for your super quick response PP

So Telstra doesn’t supply a modem? I was looking at signing up to the 60gb/$50 plan. 

ProfessorPhone

Hello again, I don't believe they do, but you will need to study the plan details.   To get the fastest speed with ethernet and other capabilities, do ensure you get the Netgear Nighthawk M2 modem.    With one bar of poor  signal, I get 200 to 290 mb/s.   

If you do it from a store, don't walk out unless you see it working, "walk out working"  as the after sales support leaves a lot to be desired.

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

No. Telstra does not supply a modem for Mobile Broadband, you need to buy that. You can pay it off over 12-36 months (but you need to maintain your service for that full period, or you have to pay the remainder as a lump sum).

Just be careful on what you are signing up for. If you are planning on streaming TV/videos, the 60GB will disappear very quickly (can be less than 10 hours worth of video if 4K, around 20 hours on HD).

I would recommend doing more research on what your requirements actually are.

Mobile Broadband can be very reliable, but the data allowances are meagre compared to fixed line.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ProfessorPhone

Wrong.

Telstra have a fair use policy now.

Telstra treasure their mobile broadband customers as they dont make any money out of NBN and they want all the mobile broadband customers they can keep

Jupiter

Telstra have always had a fair use policy (you seem to have the wrong idea on what a fair use policy is). It's there to stop the customer from abusing the system and causing other uses to have degraded services.

What they now have is no excess data usage charges and throttling when you go over your limit. But the 1.5Mbps cap is not what most people call a connection, it's pretty much only suitable for email and very basic web browsing. It's there to keep you in contact with the world (so you don't miss out on bills and other important communications).

You need to give people all the information. They rely on the advice from this forum. You have no idea what their usage patterns are and are only basing the advice from your usage experience.

Yes, mobile broadband can be suitable for some people. For a lot of people it is not suitable for permanent home usage due to the amount of data that is consumed by Streaming Services, Gaming and the like. In my household, the usage is over 1TB per month. I use more than 3GB per day just working from home (mostly through large Excel Spreadsheets stored in the cloud and MS Teams meetings).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ProfessorPhone

There is no speed decrease you mention.  

Annoyed10111

I’ve just signed up to a 12mth 60gb/$50 plan along with the modem.

I wfh and use Apple TV for catch up and Netflix most nights for a few hours. 
Hope I’ve done the right thing 😕

ProfessorPhone

Thank you for the "Like"   Annoyed.

I actually use this service myself, and have for 5 1/2 years,   with over 4600 posts here at Crowd Support...., and run a smart TV, 2 mobile phones, iPad, and up to 4 computers on the service.

Of course if you use a TB of data,  mobile broadband is not for you.

Best wishes

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

If @Annoyed10111 also has an Upfront Mobile Plan, can they data share with the Upfront Data Plan?.

(assuming that they are both on the same account)

Jupiter

Yes, you can share data across Upfront Mobile and Data Plans (up to 10 services).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit