anwers
Level 2: Rookie

mobile broadband

Answered

modem worked with windows 7 (for 7 years). Upgraded to windows 10 - now no internet connection.  "Mobile Card busy", "Soft ware installation reguired', error 0651.

What is the solution or do I need a new usb modem??? cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
anwers
Accepted Solution

Re: mobile broadband

All,

my solution was to buy a 4g dongle. ($69 telstra) 4GX Wi-Fi plus. Gets picked up by my ipads, and phone. To work on desktop I need to connect it with the cable, (just like my old one) then it works just fine, on old Windows 7 and on the Windows 10.

Can't complain - 8 years with the old 3G dongle.

cheers all for replying...

ken

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

What is the modem's model number?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
anwers

MF 668A

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

@anwers That modem should have the software required onboard. In Windows Explorer you might see it as a CD drive - you need to run the setup program I suspect.

Read this MF668 Manual   (just a quick setup guide really) for details..

A more detailed version here MF668A/User-Manual  can be downladed as a PDF

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter

That is an ancient device. I'm impressed that it is still working.

Yes, there were issues with Windows 8 and Windows 10 with those older devices as the software that was included with the device won't run on anything newer than Windows 7.

There was an updated version of the Broadband Manager software (see Connection Manager for our Post-Paid USB Mobile Br... - Telstra CrowdSupport - 485392) that was available in 2017, be patient as it takes a while to download (it's on a slow server - appears to do nothing then finishes successfully). It may also tell you that it can't download securely, just tell your computer to keep it anyway.

It may work, but it was updated back in 2015 when Windows 10 was first released, so it might not any more. Only way to find out is to try it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
anwers

Thanks Steve for the reply. I've tried heaps of things - just think this unit is too old and is just not compatible with Windows 10.

probably buy a 4g and swap the sims cards..

cheers ken

anwers

Jupiter,

thanks for the reply.

Yes I tried to download the link before - but nothing happened.

Maybe time to buy a 4G dongle, and I'll swap the sim cards for data still on the current one.

Or just use the old desktop (Windows 7) for the internet, as I'm doing now.

This stuff does do my head in.

cheers

ken

SteveW_52

Yep, it's a fairly old device..  but I have one working on a Dell Mini/Windows 10 - slow but OK for IoT development testing. Been like that for a few years and I recall it took some doing but can't remember the details.

If you go with a new device, maybe go for one with Wi-Fi built in (known as wingles)..  they just need to plug into a USB port/charger..  🙂  you might find one second hand..

Stevo 52
anwers

Steve,

yes, this device just plugs into a usb port and away it goes. can't remember the original process - sort of plug and play. But in the new desktop it just doesn't connect. it is sort of recognises but no link to the internet made. Just incompatible with the movement in technology.

will check out the wingles

ken

anwers
Accepted Solution

All,

my solution was to buy a 4g dongle. ($69 telstra) 4GX Wi-Fi plus. Gets picked up by my ipads, and phone. To work on desktop I need to connect it with the cable, (just like my old one) then it works just fine, on old Windows 7 and on the Windows 10.

Can't complain - 8 years with the old 3G dongle.

cheers all for replying...

ken

View solution in original post

SteveW_52

Do you not have a Wi-Fi device on your desktop?

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit