dax029
Level 3: Gumshoe

Netgear Nighthawk and Wifi extender

Hi

We live out in the bush approximately 10kms from our nearest mobile tower. We use mobile broadband for our internet but we constantly have very  slow speeds

So we are considering getting a wifi extender to help with coverage and data speed throughout the property.

We've looked at the Telstra offerings but the price is prohibitive.

We are considering either the Netgear AC1200-WiFi Mesh Extender or  the Netgear AC1750-WiFi Mesh Extender

Our questions are:

Is this the best way to go

Are these the best extenders options for their price.

Looking forward to your responses and thanks in advance

Cheers Frank

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Netgear Nighthawk and Wifi extender

To be honest, it's not going to improve your speeds. You are limited to what the mobile broadband device gets. 

The mesh devices will extend the range of your Wi-Fi network. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
dax029

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there any option at all to increase our speeds at all

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - you may wish to reconsider the Telstra solutions that specifically cater for amplifying 3G/4G signals using the Cel-Fi product family. These units have impressive technical credentials and from my understanding, are the only ACMA approved Repeaters for use in Australia. There are carrier specific models. The weak incoming signal on the feeder antenna is significantly amplified then sent out to another re-broadcast antenna resulting a stronger in home/area signal that delivers increased data throughput speed. The broadcast antenna must be physically separated as much as possible from the feeder antenna to minimise interference.

Suggest you research company information, user install videos and reviews on YouTube to gain some insight into options and speak to any local Telecomms Services company in your area that is familiar with them. You will also find helpful information by using the Search window on the forum for posts - ProfessorPhone has expertise in radio comms and has informative comments on his setup.

Somewhere in my previous research, I thought I read that they also offer repayment options over 36 months which can save an initial capital outlay. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/network-coverage-extension-devices

Jupiter

The Cel Fi repeaters aren't cheap (you would be looking at around $1600 for the hardware), but they do the job.

They do have their limitations though. They can only operate on 1 band at time, so you will need to do a bit of research to find out what the best option for setup is. What is your location (town and nearest intersection would be perfect)? I can look up what your nearest towers are to give you a starting point.

Powertec, in Queensland, sells these units and it may be worthwhile giving them a call to discuss the options. www.powertec.com.au

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
dax029

I'm at Broadwater Qld and nearest intersection would be Marino Rd and Clark Lane.

Cheers

Jupiter

OK. You are a bit isolated there. Have you considered going with an NBN Fixed Wireless connection for your internet? There are 3 NBN towers in that general area.

You could then use some mesh extenders to give better coverage within your property if required.

As far as the Telstra Towers go, the tower over near the Severnlea State school uses 1800MHz LTE (4G), the tower behind the Stanthorpe Post Office has 700MHz & 1800MHz LTE (4G) and 850MHz UMTS (3G) , with 900MHz LTE (4G proposed) and the tower on Mt Marley is the same as the post office.

700MHz is the key for 4G as it has the best range, I doubt that you would get a signal from the Severnlea State School Tower.

So, if you were to get a repeater, you would need to point it towards the Post Office Tower (est 8km from you). If you were doing a self install, use the map and GPS on your phone to assist with aiming.

dax029

Great thanks for the detailed response, I definitely have some research to do. Also I didn't know we could get fixed wireless so will have to investigate that as well.  Thanks again

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit