Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

new Fibre To The Node upgrade - how does it work

So I see in the paper that if I order a high speed nbn connection, and my area only provides fibre to the node, then I may actually get fibre to the premises (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-23/nbn-co-shake-up-upgrade-network-millions-more-access/12691782).

Can anyone explain exactly how this works?

What should I do now, if I want fibre to the premises, but my area is fibre to the node (and I don't want to be hit with 'Technology Choice' fees).

Apologies if I've come to the wrong place with this query; the press release I looked at did suggest directing further queries to www.nbnco.com.au but I can't really find anywhere to ask questions there other than a phone number).

Thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: new Fibre To The Node upgrade - how does it work

There is nothing that you can do about the NBN rollout. It is a matter of waiting and seeing if you are in an area that is going to be upgraded to FTTP.

If you are, NBN Co will install the fibre along your street and then you will place an order to get migrated and they will come back and install the NTD in your house and connect you to the Fibre network.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks, but your response is not correct.

Please have a read of the article I posted a link to above, or the associated press release (see below).

If you read this material, you will see that the Government has announced a *new* policy (though, hmm, looks a lot like an older policy), which promises an upgrade to FTP if I buy a high speed connection.

Your response also ignores the 'Technology Choice Option' (but I'm not wanting to use that).

I want to know how specifically do I get this upgrade.

Press release announcing the new policy:

https://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/fletcher/media-release/45-billion-nbn-investment-bring-ultra-...

Highlighted

I should have clarified: the promise in the new policy applies to 'up to 75 per cent of fixed line premises across regional and metropolitan Australia´ (not everyone), and for delivery by 2023 (very bold).

Highlighted

I didn't say anything about the Technology Choice program as you already said that you weren't interested in it.

I did read the article, and my response is correct.

Just because you want FTTP doesn't mean that if you try to order it, NBN Co will provide it. You need to be in an area where NBN Co is going to install it, and after they run the cables, then you will have the opportunity to order it if you wish to.

If NBN Co decides that your street is serviced well enough by FTTN, then they will not install the Fibre and you will not get the opportunity to get it without going through the Technology Choice program and its associated costs.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Hi - I have found that if you go to the source, you will get more accurate information that hasn't been interpreted by journalists or edited by Government public relations staff. This link connects you to NBN statements. It's a realistic and impressive plan for a country like Australia which has such a large area to cover. 

https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-statements/Initial-build-complete-...

In addition to the comprehensive outline of planned upgrades to all the landline variants of services offered by the NBN network, there is also a full copy of the NBN Corporate Plan including PowerPoint presentation.

It's early days of knowledge, and I am inclined to agree with Jupiter's view - how your specific location will be treated under the NBN upgrade plan may vary from other FTTN customers and what choices you will have is unknown at this stage. Three years is a long time telecommunications - 5G will have a higher deployment by then, providing an alternative for some customers.    

Highlighted

Hi Jupiter,

Again your response is incorrect - this is an 'on-demand model', as the NBN corporate report puts it.

I agree the information available at present is a bit sketchy, but the idea being put out by the Government and the NBN is that the upgrades are going to be driven by (end-user) demand for the highest speed plans - the investments are to be 'targetted and demand driven'.

Highlighted

Ah, but hang on, just noticed: if I want to sign up for an NBN 100 plan I have to go to a competitor. Is that the issue? Is that why I'm being told 'sit on your hands and be quiet' when that really looks like bad advice (given my situation and what's on offer)?

Highlighted

No. You're not reading it correctly. And it has been outlined very clearly in the press release and articles.

The process will be:

1. NBN Co decides where they are going to install the new Fibre in the FTTN areas (note: not all areas will be covered).
  2. NBN Co installs the Fibre in the street.
  3. NBN Co declares that the fibre is serviceable.
  4. You can then submit a request to Telstra to get you migrated to FTTP.
  5. NBN Co will then come and install the NBN NTD in your house and connect you to the fibre in the street.
  6. Your FTTP service will then be operational.

You can't do anything until the fibre in the street is declared serviceable by NBN Co as there is nothing to connect to. You cannot influence where NBN Co installs the fibre, that is purely their choice. It doesn't matter which provider you are with, the process will be exactly the same.

If in step 1, NBN Co decides that they are not going to install fibre in your street (more specifically, in your section of the street) then you have missed out and your only choice will be to go through the Technology Choice program.

The "on demand" part of the model only applies from Step 4. You don't have to connect to FTTP if you don't want to. In the original FTTP rollout, it was a compulsory connection and NBN Co installed the NBN NTD and the connection to the street whether you wanted it or not.

Highlighted

Looking at the material again, it's not clear to me that your description is correct - it seems wrong, and I'm not the only one reading it differently to you, e.g. here's what an ABC Journalist said in their report this am (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-24/nbn-upgrade-is-better-late-than-never/12694016):

You have to feel sorry for anyone who, in desperation, called up the NBN in the past year or so to get a fibre-optic cable run into their premises. Now, apparently, ... . So long as you sign up for a premium service from a provider such as Telstra, Optus or TPG, you'll be connected for free.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The way I interpret the announcement is that NBN Co first has to install extra infrastructure in the area and NBN Co decides which locations will be getting fibre to the Node. Once the infrastructure is installed customers can apply to upgrade to FTTP.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-statements/Initial-build-complete-...

"As this investment takes place, an increasing number of premises connected to the nbn™ by FTTN technology that require higher speeds will be able to access higher wholesale speed tiers via Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) technology. NBN Co will use the existing fibre infrastructure already built to nodes and invest in the continued rollout of fibre deeper into community areas.
Customers living or working in these areas will be able to place an order with any participating internet retailer for a higher speed nbn™ Home Fast, nbn™ Home Superfast or nbn™ Home Ultrafast broadband plan. At that point, NBN Co will complete the build of the fibre lead-in to the premises"

Highlighted

Yes. Exactly.

They are not going to waste money jumping here there and everywhere installing bits and pieces of cable. It's a planned rollout.

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I agree with you Jupiter and cf4 regarding NBN having to lay the fibre in your street first before you are able to order a FttP connection.

MoreSkiPlease is incorrect and seems to refuse to accept the obvious.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit