CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Nighthawk M1 Overheat, random reboot and mobile data usage unavailable

I am now using Nighthawk number three with the same issues. The device gets too hot to touch, it reboots at random, states that it is battery heat mode, it cannot tell me how much data has been used and is frankly not doing its job.

I have updated the firmware on two of the bricks, purposely leaving the latest device on factory level.  No joy at all.  These are 'so Netgear', a company I've never supported out of choice.

My question?  When are we going to get a Telstra mobile broadband product that is reliable?  These certainly are not!

Any solutions offered will be appreciated. 

Delivering a project on time, within budget, that performs to stakeholder expectations is my passion. I think well beyond the here and now to where the stakeholders may be, well beyond project delivery. No surprises are tolerated, none eventuate, ever.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Nighthawk M1 Overheat, random reboot and mobile data usage unavailable

Frustrating when things don't work as they should. Have you tried using any of the three Nighthawk M1 units powered via the AC Adapter without the battery inside it to see if the same instability exists.

Highlighted

Yes Mkrtich, the routers of course do not report battery overheat in that mode, they are however still very hot, reboot at random and show no usage data.

Delivering a project on time, within budget, that performs to stakeholder expectations is my passion. I think well beyond the here and now to where the stakeholders may be, well beyond project delivery. No surprises are tolerated, none eventuate, ever.
Highlighted

OK, if the M1 reboots without battery , it implies it may be the modem or the power source to the modem. If the AC Adapter is marginal or under 2 Amps, it may be the cause of the modem heating up and rebooting. Do you have a 2.5 Amp power supply to test on one of your old units to see if instability continues with a different AC Adapter. The modem will take what it needs, so long as it is USB 5V DC and 2.0 Amps or higher. Connecting adapters under the stated limit can damage electronics.

Reference regarding low coverage area - https://www.store4g.com/blog/how-to-recharge-netgear-nighthawk-m1/

Highlighted

Thank you Mkrtich, I have tried three power sources and three leads etc, being an electronics technician and a systems engineer, I've got the usual things covered.

It looks like we have a design problem here, overheating generally will bring with it any other order of problems, random ones are to be expected.

My feeling is that Telstra will need to re-partner for their MBB product as this one is just not up to the job.

Highlighted

Given your experiences and even if the M1 is in the post warranty period, I think in your case, you may have a reasonable case under Australian law for the product not being fit for purpose and possible remedy by Telstra with an exchange to either the Nighthawk M2_MR2100 or a refund.

Highlighted

Thank you so much Mkrtich for your assistance and advice. I will gather up the products and make a trip into a T-Shop for a chat.  Cheers to all.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit