msmith6i
Level 1: Cadet

Nighthawk M1 Router Firmware upgrade

HI,

My Nighthawk M1 (Mobile Router) upgraded to the new firmware (NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04) tonight (09/08)

It is still operational (approx 25 Mbps down and 18 Mbps up - peak in my area at moment) but says that I need to activate the Pre-Paid service as the previously working Telstra SIM is now non Telstra detected SIM

All other settings appear the same prior to upgrade except for Service Number and Signal Stregth are both now N/A

When I try to activate it says the SIM phone number and Serial number are already activated.

- Rebooted

- Powered down with battery / SIM removed and reseated

- Factory reset and setup

Any ideas?

Thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
ADSLtoofar
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Nighthawk M1 Router Firmware upgrade

Same problem here! Telsta help desk of little comfort!

I can log in with "admin" password but can not change in settings.

Also tells me I have Non Telstra Sim!!!

No data in dashboard.

Apart from this (!), the Internet is fine.

Del-Boy

Upgraded my Nighthawk M1 to firmware NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 today and have the same problems! My Netgear Dashboard shows no data.

Still getting acceptable download speeds (40 mb/s) and the initial page loading time seems to be faster.

Telstra, why is there nothing on my Netgear Dashboard? Tried the usual reboots of PC and Nightawk etc.

Ashwake

Upgraded my Nighthawk M1 to firmware NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 today and have the same problems! My Netgear Dashboard shows no data.I just get told a non Telstra sim has been detected, Please activate your Pre-Paid account. 

The upgrade has resulted in unacceptable download speeds and there is no initial presentation of the dash board page. When I select the dash board No relevant data appears except for the firm ware version NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04.  It would appear that this firmware update is a complete waste, why was it issued if it wasn''t tested properly. How do we revert back to the original. I tried to do a factory reset but nothing different. Tried soft reboot and power reset of the Nightawk, no success..

mdgm
Level 3: Gumshoe

Try clearing your web browser cache (e.g. Temporary Internet FIles in Internet Explorer), close your web browser and try again.

Or try a different web browser.

I tried a different web browser and the Dashboard displayed properly in that.

I also cleared the last hour of history in the web browser it wasn't displaying in properly and then the Dashboard displayed fine.

I suspect the problem you're seeing is that the Dashboard from the previous firmware was cached by your web browser.

I'm now seeing Prepaid Data Usage (well really my data and time remaining) in the Dashboard which I wasn't able to see on previous firmware.

Palian
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi

Have tried all of you commends and still no go. Reverted back to older software by doing a factory reset and now shows in the settings tab under Nighthawk M1 Status it shows the Hardware version being 1.0 but the PRI Version as 02.15 with the Firmware Version being NTG9X50C_10.16.04.

Have tried to re update but says there are no updates. Is there a way to redo the update.

Ashwake

Many Thanks mdgm I tried Internet Explorer as a different browser and all presented normally. I also carried out a speed test (20mbps) which is good for my area. I then went back to Google Chrome (my default browser) and cleared the last hour of history in the web browser. When I logged in to the router again all was back to normal. I don't understand why the cache caused this problem but again Thank You.

mdgm
Level 3: Gumshoe

Web browsers cache web pages to improve loading times. For sites with largely static content this helps improve the user experience.

Unfortunately sometimes this can mean that web browsers load a mixture of a previous version of a page and the live site.

So in the case of web admin pages this is most noticeable when there have been significant changes. If you do nothing normally the web browser will eventually decide to load the live page and it'll correct itself but you could have to wait quite a while before it will do that.

Sometimes logging out, closing a web browser and logging back in could be enough.

If you clear recent history then active sessions to secure sites are automatically terminated.

ADSLtoofar
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks mdgm,

tried deleting history and Bingo, all good.

Now I can log in, see dashboard and make changes.

Thanks for the info from all the contributers.

Del-Boy

Yep, my Dashboard sorted itself after a day and is now working normally. Have noticed since the firmware upgrade that new pages now load instantly and it hasn't dropped out at all. It was dropping out on average once an hour before. So I'm now glad I bought the Nighthawk, the initial teething problems seem to be sorted. And it is fast!

msmith6i

Well after finaly getting time to complete hard reset (battery out for hour) and restarting my M1 it has a dashboard with normal readings. Tried other browsers etc, as mentioned but no go..... was being stubborn!!!!

dm4
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

My idea is to get a decent modem that works when you turn it on.

lizard_drinking

Same bizarre problem. Thanks for the simple answer (clear the last hour of browsing cache) which solved it.

Do not try to solve this with Telstra - what a horrible experience!! Everyone who did the update after being advised by Telstra to do it! (1500 views just here) will have run into the same problem. But the tech support people (I went through 3 different people, including a supervisor) have no idea. Awful. Their solution was to re-set. When I said "won't that clear all my network settings" the response was..."duh?". 

(And the answer is HERE on their own crowd-support page. Eeek!)

...and then there is the awful experience of navigating the clunky error-prone phone answering service. But that's another thing...

POSTSCRIPT - I just tried to send a response along the lines of this post to one of the support staff who failed to help me (the system cut me off and went to a satisfaction survey!) - using the auto-generated "Thanks for speaking with Telstra today" email.

I clicked the link to get back to "Kirby": It opened an email with the line " Sorry but there seems to be a technical issue. Please click below for more support options."

LOLOLOL

sweete

since upgrading to firmware NTG9X50C_10.16.04.04 i have had issues with the internet. when i first turn it on and it is using H (as opposed to 3G or 4G) it works fine (although not as good as it was prior to the firmware) but once it swaps to 4G it is shocking. the only way to get it to go back to H is to reset it.

i also have a 4G advanced II which works fine. to give you an idea my tests from speedtest.net are:

Advanced II (upload\download) and carried out 3 times

13.42/10.20

12.06/10.29

13.47/10.37

NightHawk M1 showing Telstra connection as H with full bars

17.42/2.12

19.88/2.38

16.91/2.40

NightHawk M1 showing Telstra connection as 4G II bars

6/.12

11.89/.29

6.49/.26

apart from the obvious speed differences, i work in IT and do most of my work connecting to clients from home and using RDP. so i need a reasonable upload spee and .29 is **bleep**!

I have been using my 4gAdvanced II for the last few months but just thought I would give the Nighthawk another go but hmmm still not working. What do i do? as you would all be well aware TALKING TO TELSTRA IS LIKE BANGING YOUR HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL!!!!!

Anyone please help!!!!

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@sweete

Welcome to CrowdSupport.

I'm curious about the problem that you're experiencing here.

Can I clarify the "Advanced II" device you mention here:

Is that device the 4GX Wi-Fi Advanced II (Model AC 790) or is it the 4G Wi-FI Advanced II (Model 790S)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

sweete

the Advanced II is a AC790S but i dont have any issues with that, it is the NightHawk M1 that i have the issues with since the firmware upgrade.

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@sweete

This is why I thought I'd check.

The AC790S is not able to see or connect to the LTE700 Network, which the Nighthawk can.
You might actually have a problem with the Nighthawks ability to swap between the LTE700 and the LTE1800 networks.

It's something that our Mobile Tech Team on 125111 can certainly check out for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

sweete

thanks for that, it has now been logged with the TRG group at telstra. the girl i spoke with got me to change it to WCDMA which is 3G and it worked better on that.

the testing i did with it on LTE ALL was abysmal as it had been on AUTO.

dont know if they have done anything on the towers near me (wouldnt have thought so) but i have changed it back to LTE All and it is now giving me

upload/download

17.47\3.66

15.83\3.55

18.88\3.40

on Auto is still terrible.

apparently they will log it with netgear as well.

This girl said the same about the firmware - cant go backwards!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit