Daks27
Level 1: Cadet

Nighthawk m5 signal weak to next room

We are using a Nighthawk m5 at home.  The signal in the area where we have the Nighthawk is very good.  However lately in a room approx 7-8 metres away it is very weak & often drops out for a few seconds.  It wasn't like this originally.
Wondering if a wi fi extender might help.
Note I have tried moving the modem to the room in mention & the reverse happens. There is nowhere in between the two areas where I can place the Nighthawk
TIA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Nighthawk m5 signal weak to next room

A Wi Fi extender would probably improve the reception but there are a few other things you could try.

You could try changing the WiFi channel on the Nighthawk especially the 2.4 GHz WiFi channel incase there is interference from a neighbouring network. Suggest you install a WiFi scanner on an android phone or computer and check what channels are being used by neighbouring networks. Try to use a channel that is not used by a neighbouring network.

Another thing you could use the WiFi analyser for is to check the strength of the Nighthawks WiFi. It should be greater than -40 dbm close to modem. You can also check that both WiFi channels are transmitting.

Daks27
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Nighthawk m5 signal weak to next room

Thanks, will give it a go.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit