BillyGareth
Level 2: Rookie

Not able to connect to Telstra Wireless public IP from another Telstra wireless service

Strange one or maybe not so strange

I have setup a number of sites running Telstra Business wireless devices and have activated the public IP option on each of these as there are Terminal Servers or other services that require a static IP and remote access.

What I am finding is that while I have no trouble connect to say a terminal server sitting behind that IP from any ADSL connection and some Bigpond and other ISP wireless services, If I am on a Telstra wireless service such as a dongle of hotspot through a phone, it simply fails to connect.

SO with my ipad running through the wifi on my lan and using the RDP app I can connect perfectly. Switch the ipad to Telstra 4G or hotspot through the phone - no dice with the RDP app. Just doesn't even try try. But other Telstra/Bigpond devices do work. MAybe just the bigpond devices work which would make sense.

I am guessing that it is because the 4G connection is running "internally" throug the 4G network so not seeing the public IP but other services do see it as they are coming in from Outiside...

No big deal as I can use noIP to get around it but would be nice if I didn't have to.Which is why I got a public IP in the first place...

Anyone got any wisdom/confirmation/additions to this one?

Thanks,

Billy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Juzman
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: Not able to connect to Telstra Wireless public IP from another Telstra wireless service

@BillyGareth wrote:

Strange one or maybe not so strange

No big deal as I can use noIP to get around it but would be nice if I didn't have to.Which is why I got a public IP in the first place...

Anyone got any wisdom/confirmation/additions to this one?

Thanks,

Billy

This is a strange one. I didn't even know the 4G devices had a public IP. I thought they were all behind a NAT on the network. Whilst no-ip will definitely resolve this, when you traceroute to the public IP address, is it failing inside or outside the network?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit