Bruce-H
Level 3: Gumshoe

Orbi LBK1220 LED white red pulse before 100% data used

Answered

I have an Orbi LBK1220 - 4GX AC1200 Dual-Band Mesh WiFi System router. The LED recently started to pulse white red way before I had used 100% of the data. In fact, I hadn't even used 50% of the data when it began to occur. The LED lighting will go though a cycle where it will pulse white red for a while, then go solid red for a short while, then white, then return to blue, and then the cycle will begin again. My internet connection does not appear to be affected by all this and remains stable and strong. I have tried resetting the router - no effect. I have tried reinstalling the firmware (version LBR1020-V2.5.1.18.img), but that also has no effect. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks, Bruce.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bruce-H
Accepted Solution

Re: Orbi LBK1220 LED white red pulse before 100% data used

I understand that Netgear will be releasing a firmware update that solves this issue. I can verify that the update works.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Amyh92
Level 1: Cadet

I'm having the exact same issues. Telstra have been useless with trying to help me. My speed is capped at 1mpbs. So frustrating. Data is only at 8% used. 

Bruce-H

I know of one other person having a similar issue with the LBK1220. At least in my case the speed is not capped. Everything works as expected, except for the annoying white red LED pulse. There is nothing about this on the Netgear website, and Netgear's customer support is minimal and almost impossible to access.

Bruce-H

Also, forgot to mention that the LED is no longer cycling through white red, then solid red, then white, then blue. Now it's just a white red pulse all the time.

Luke_Groves
Level 6: Bloodhound

It could possibly be a faulty unit. You could return to Telstra and ask to send it away for warranty. If they can replicate the fault they should be able to replace it for you. 

Luke |
Moving House: https://www.telstra.com.au/moving-house
Got a Fault: https://fix.telstra.com/
Need Contact: https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us
Amyh92
Level 1: Cadet

Hmm yeah I probably will TBH. So frustrating! 

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

@Bruce-H @Amyh92 - Hi - frustrating when things don't work as they should. Are your Netgear LBK 1220s sourced through Telstra with Telstra 4G SIMs - I am unaware if a non Telstra version is available through a general retail outlet?

Apart from a possible corrupted firmware issue or fault with the Router or Satellite, I wonder if the 4G LTE module in the Router needs a firmware update or refresh as the LBK1220 is giving you both a false reading of your Download status.

This combo of Router and Satellite appears to have strict firmware update procedures and I am not sure if Telstra's version of the product has different firmware from what Netgear has for general public sales. Surprised to see an ability to request an Auto Live Firmware update from the Router's screen or manually download the .img file to a PC for later upload into the Router - this is a first for a Telstra modem - hopefully Telstra has finally relented?

Currently, there is no 4G LTE firmware module showing up on Netgear's site, perhaps this is is only available through the usual controlled Telstra auto push firmware updates or it may or may not be visible in the LBK1220 Router's GUI screen for Telstra customers?

So according to the User Manual, there are three firmware update files. There is a warning not to do the Router and the Satellite updates at the same time ( however this is contradicted in the Auto Live Update  instructions where both will be done automatically) and to do one after the other - that warning appears at the end of the manual process for updates, so unsure if it applies to both methods of updates - probably safer to do separately.

1. Router  Ver 2.5.1.8 -  Bruce-H - wasn't sure if your original post was a typo or Netgear site typo

2. Satellite Ver 2.5.1.30

3. 4G LTE - not listed.

If your Router and Satellite firmware levels are up to date, maybe ask Telstra through the MyTelstra App if they can refresh/reset your 4G account settings including the APN and get them to confirm the current status of your 4G LTE firmware. There could be a bug in the firmware and unless more people report it in, it will take longer for it be addressed by Telstra and Netgear. Although it does not stop the unit from functioning, if the problem persists and your patience has expired, it is a fault that hopefully can only be determined by replacement of the LBK1220. 

Bruce-H

Thank you for your detailed reply Mkrtich. My LBK1220 was sourced through Telstra and does use a Telstra 4G SIM. I have refreshed the firmware numerous times but the LED keeps pulsing white red. There does appear to be a discrepancy between the router firmware version available for download from the Netgear site (V 2.5.1.8) and the latest version available through the Orbi admin interface (V 2.5.1.18). I've tried both but the issue persists. The manual also omits a recommendation found on the Netgear website that firmware updates should be done using a computer that is connected to the Orbi router via an Ethernet cable (wired). Doing that seemed to solve the issue for a brief period, but then the white red pulsing returned. Netgear's complete guide on how to manually upgrade firmware on the Orbi router is available on this page - https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co....

Mkrtich

Thanks for clarifying the difference between the Router firmware Version numbers shown in the modem's GUI and the Netgear Portal. The absence of the 4G LTE firmware on the Netgear web site makes me think the V 2.5.18 includes the Telstra specific 4G LTE module. It is interesting that in any manual upgrade to the system, that the Satellite has to be done first, then the Router - may be due to this Netgear Router model not supporting WiFi Alliance EasyMesh. 

You may have done this already as part of troubleshooting the problem.

Note down the current Data Usage of your mobile phone through its App.

If you were to turn OFF the Netgear Satellite, does the same false Data Usage LED continue?

If you were to turn OFF both Netgear devices, wait 60 seconds, extract the Data SIM and replace it with your mobile phone SIM, then turn power back ON to the Router only - does the same false Data Usage indication occur (you may have to wait a while depending on your mobile phone balance).

If you then power ON the Satellite, does it impact the Data Usage indication LED? 

If so, it would point to, in the first instance, the Router firmware or the second step, in the Satellite, having the issue.

If the false Data Usage LED continues, it may suggest there is something in the network settings of your account or the Data SIM.

These troubleshooting actions should give you worthwhile information to provide to the Telstra Platinum support agent, so that they can eventually resolve the matter. Your Netgear LBK1220-1TLAUS  comes under the Telstra Networking Equipment Category. They should not charge you for their time as this is clearly a fault.  https://www.telstra.com.au/platinum-technical-support . 

Bruce-H

It appears that the problem may be due to an issue with a server at Telstra. Please see this post on the Netgear community website - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-LTE/Orbi-LBK1220-LED-white-red-pulse-before-100-data-used/m-p/...

Bruce-H
Accepted Solution

I understand that Netgear will be releasing a firmware update that solves this issue. I can verify that the update works.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit