DaveVossy
Level 1: Cadet

Poor Mobile Broadband Speeds

Hi there, need to ask why am I getting such poor Mobile Broadband speeds? Are my speeds being limited for some reason?? Especially when you compare it to the Optus Mobile Broadband device I have for work. I've been watching these speed tests for a while now and the Optus one is consistently over 20mbps, while the Telstra one has barely gone above 5mbps. I live rural as well and have only recently signed up, so very disappointed with Telstra so far. If it can't be improved I'll be asking for a refund and switching to Optus.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
DaveVossy

Re: Poor Mobile Broadband Speeds

Telstra Speed Test ResultsOptus Speed Test Result

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Without knowing the location, it's a bit hard to make any assumption other than there are probably far fewer people using the Optus service in your area.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
sophieg24

Hey DaveVossy, 

It does depend on the capability of your device & if it can connect with 4GX, 4G or 3G. Speeds can also be impacted for multiple different reasons; Location, distance from base stations, terrain, user numbers, hardware/software configuration, download source and upload destination. Please get in touch with us on the MyTelstra app by selecting the 'Get Help' tab, this way our team can properly authenticate you & have a look to see what can be done. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit