Tyrael79
Level 1: Cadet

Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband 4G Perth CBD - Worse than Dialup Speeds!!! - IS THERE A NETWORK FAULT?

Hi,

I'm literally right in the middle of Perth CBD (In the Central Park building... you cant get much more central). I just bought and setup my Telstra WI-FI 4G Device and attempted to start using it.

• The reception bar says I have full coverage
  • The Telstra Map's say that I have "full blue coverage" (upto 40mb)
  • There is only me connected to the broadband
  • Nothing is downloading in teh back ground
  • and b4 you ask, yup, Ive turned it on and off again a few times

But its running slower than dial up, and it seems to intermittantly be "dropping out" (but not actually disconnecting from the telstra network, almost like Telstra has someone using up ever last bit of their bandwidth using some super bittorrent or something).

When trying to run a speed test from "speedtest.net" I managed to get it to run once where it said my DL was 5.9mbs but then it took FOREVER to attempt the upload test and when it finally did do it, it said my upload speed was 0.009mbs. (with a ping of 108ms which I was VERY disapointed at)

I attempted to run it again, but now it cant even "ping" a place to start the test. (yup Ive resetted the browser, and even tried Internet explorer, Chrome & firefox... all with the same issues)

When I'm trying to browse the net, it constantly "stalls" gives me "Page cannot be displayed" errors, after a few refreshes, it will sometimes VERY VERY VERY slowly load a web page.

I currently also have a Vivid wireless 4G which works perfectly and I get very fast  DL speeds (8mbs down & 1mbs up), but knowing that the Telstra LTE network is vastly superior and I was hoping to get a lower ping with it (plus the bennefit of higher dowbnload speeds) I'm exceptionally disapointed.

For some reason it looks like Im bouncing between "3G" & "DC" Im not sure what the "DC" means on the LCD screen, but when I go to: "telstra.wifi.4g" it says that Im always connected and havnt Disconneded (so Im asuming "DC" on the LCD screen doesnt mean Disconnected... plus DC is up it still shows full coverage bars.

Is this the Typical type of speeds I can expect literally in the centre of perth CBD? or is there a fault with the network or modem I have? or some super secret setting you need to enable which you only get told about if you complain about the network speeds?

Some help would be greatly appreciated otherwise Im going to request my money back and continue using my vivid wirelesss (luckily I didnt disconnected it until I tried out the Telstra service first)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Tyrael79
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband 4G Perth CBD - Worse than Dialup Speeds!!! - IS THERE A NETWORK FAUL

Oh in addition to this When you try to access the Telstra WIFI 4G device through WiFi (telstra.wifi.4g) it freezes, wont let you put in a password, (if you manage to copy and paste it in there... 99% of the time the ok button wont work)

I eventually got it working by connecting via USB, but this functionality should be available via WIFI.

(I had full WIFI reception, the device was about 50 cm's away from my laptop)
Christos
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Re: Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband 4G Perth CBD - Worse than Dialup Speeds!!! - IS THERE A NETWORK FAUL

Hi  Tyrael79,

Welcome to Crowd Support 🙂

Sorry to hear about all your problems your having :(.

I suggest you complete a coverage feedback form to find out wether or not your in a black spot which may not show in Telstra's coverage map. Please wait for a response before cancelling your service with Telstra

Here is the link: http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/coverage-feedback/

Please let us now how it goes.

- C

If you've found a  then don't forget to mark that post accordingly

Kudos  Recognise someone for their help by clicking this button on their post

If you've found a  then don't forget to mark that post accordingly

Kudos  Recognise someone for their help by clicking this button on their post

Stick around great things are happening in Moderator

RaeC
Level 2: Rookie

If it was between 11am to 2pm that you tried to log on, you pretty much cannot use the Telstra 3G or 4G network at this time in the CBD. Everyone knows about it, but nobody reports it and just accepts that it is "network congestion" and there is nothing they can do about it. I've started logging coverage feedback forms.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit