zzuf
Level 2: Rookie

Prepaid Mobile BroadbandeSIM pixel 4a 5g No Network Connection

Answered

I previously had a physical eSIM in a different phone.

With the new Pixel I used Telstra App, eSIM transfer and restore function.  The eSim downloaded, installed, then was activated using a code emailed by Telstra.

On the phone, the eSIM is shown as default for data and active. Network settings shows not connected. No access is available.

My old physical SIM remains active in another phone and can be used for data - I thought it should have been disabled when the eSIM was activated.

How do I connect to the network?

Telstra had been little help unfortunately.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
zzuf
Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid Mobile BroadbandeSIM pixel 4a 5g No Network Connection

After hours on the phone to a Telstra consultant, with no solution, she recommended a visit to the Telstra store to scan in the eSIM from a QR package..

Her reason was that although the eSIM, according to the phone, was installed and active the SIM status page had not been populated with the expected normal information. She suspected the eSIM was not really installed. The Telstra store consultant was adamant that eSim did not work with mobile prepaid broadband. After much pleading she agrees to at least try the QR code.

Within a couple of minutes the phone was connected.

The SIM status page was now populated with the expected information. 

The store consultant was happy she had learner something.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

You might need to take the old SIM off line so the transfer can happen - if the old SIM is online and 'claiming' the number, it might prevent the transfer of the eSIM. Was the old SIM active with the eSIM in the previous device?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
zzuf

Thanks Steve, the only info in the eSIM status are the ICCID and EID all other field are blank or " unknown".  I will turn the old phone off overnight.  Only physical SIMs in other phone.

Regards, Chris

SteveW_52

I'd also suggest you restart your Pixel4a sometime after you turn the old phone off (give it time to de-register from the network).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

If would be wise to do a Network Reset so the network settings are normalized.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
zzuf
Accepted Solution

After hours on the phone to a Telstra consultant, with no solution, she recommended a visit to the Telstra store to scan in the eSIM from a QR package..

Her reason was that although the eSIM, according to the phone, was installed and active the SIM status page had not been populated with the expected normal information. She suspected the eSIM was not really installed. The Telstra store consultant was adamant that eSim did not work with mobile prepaid broadband. After much pleading she agrees to at least try the QR code.

Within a couple of minutes the phone was connected.

The SIM status page was now populated with the expected information. 

The store consultant was happy she had learner something.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The consultant was correct in that eSIM didn't work with Prepaid Mobile Broadband. What they should have been able to point out to you is that you were talking about the wrong product as you were using a phone (it is a Prepaid Phone Plan).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Smiley3

Hi @Jupiter,

A Pre-Paid mobile broadband Data SIM can be used in a mobile phone.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/mobiles-devices/put-sim-in-other-device

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
zzuf

Well, you may be correct. But my phone is unaware of the limitation My phone plan (voice only no data) comes from TPG. My data comes from Telstra Mobile Broadband. I have never used Telstra for voice (phone) and for many years used a Mobile broadband SIM in a dual SIM phone for data.

The phone was bought as an unlocked phone from a retailer, not Telstra. 

My TPG physical SIM voice only worked fine.

The transfer of my Telstra mobile broadband SIM to eSim via the Telstra App was unsuccessful.  A QR code scan corrected the situation. 

Everybody knew I was using a Pixel 4a 5g phone don't think I really understand your point?

Somjidza17_gmai
Level 3: Gumshoe

<Removed for Privacy>

SteveW_52

This is a public forum, you should not post any personal information here..  such as a mobile number..  it needs to be deleted..  and instead, perhaps say what your issue is? Start a new message, don't piggy back on another one even if it might be related

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit