Level 2: Rookie

Purchase Additional Data For Mobile Broadband For WFH Requirements During COVID-19?

Answered

Due to the coronavirus, I'm now working remotely full time in a location that requires the use of mobile broadband. As I use Zoom and Remote Desktop extensively, I don't think the 100GB per month limit will be sufficient. I'm happy to pay extra, or move to a business plan, etc. but I cannot see any option available beyond 100GB per month for mobile data.

1) Is there another option available (e.g. can I buy more data, move to different plan)?

2) If not, will Telstra consider changing this in the wake of the increased WFH requirements due to COVID-19?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Purchase Additional Data For Mobile Broadband For WFH Requirements During COVID-19?

I'm using the My Telstra app, so it might be slightly different. On the Home screen at the top there is a note saying "Extra data during COVID-19. Register now for extra mobile data at no extra cost."

When I click on that, it takes me through to a registration form.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Purchase Additional Data For Mobile Broadband For WFH Requirements During COVID-19?

You will be able to apply for an extra 25GB of data to use on your mobile broadband tomorrow through the 24x7 or My Telstra apps.

At the moment, that is the only option. Once you go through your data, you will be slowed to 1.5Mbps.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks Jupiter, much appreciated.

I'm not able to find that option available anywhere on the app. Did you mean that it would only become available on the app tomorrow?

Are there no business plans that go to higher amounts? The only other thing I can think of is buy another sim card with another $75 per month plan, and swap the SIM card out in the modem when I run out on the first one. But that seems crazy. Surely there has to be a better way than that?

Option doesn't become available until tomorrow.

Business plans have the same data levels as Personal plans.

Level 1: Cadet

So it's Thursday and definitely can't find this thing anywhere in the Telstra 24/7 app. Any hints as to where it is?

Accepted Solution

I'm using the My Telstra app, so it might be slightly different. On the Home screen at the top there is a note saying "Extra data during COVID-19. Register now for extra mobile data at no extra cost."

When I click on that, it takes me through to a registration form.

View solution in original post

Hey Jon, Jupiter is right. Don't use Telstra24x7, go in via My Telstra. Go to Home and you'll see the option at the top of the screen. I've just found it. Let me know if you can't see it and I'll send you a screenshot.

Thanks Jupiter, just found it! Very much apprecitaed 

It's great Telstra are offering this option, however COVID-19 is going to go on a lot longer than April 30th, so I hope Telstra will consider offering more permanent options in future. As I said before, I don't mind paying, just need a solution. Smiley Happy 

BTW you might know the answer - In an emergency, can I put my Telstra phone SIM in my 4GX modem and have it use that data?  

The SIM sizes are usually different between phones (nano-SIM) and modems (micro-SIM). You could just hotspot from your phone instead.

Hi All.

I've been trying to access the extra 25Gb for my Netgear Nighthawk mobile broadband but can't find how to apply.  I've logged in to My Account online but can't see any link like the one referenced above.  Any suggestions?

If you don't know which road to take, any road will take you there.

It's not online via the website, needs to be done through the app.

Thanks, Jupiter.

My phone is on $30 / 6 months for budgetary constraints (temporary, I think).  I couldn't see my Nighthawk M1 mobile broadband device's number when I logged into the app via my phone. However, I wifi connected my phone to my Nighthawk M1 and was then able to access the account for my mobile broadband and saw the Covid-19 data tab link at the top to apply for the extra data.

Rad.

If you don't know which road to take, any road will take you there.

Same challenge here.  I need 100+GB more.  Looks like there is a pre-paid SIM option that will allow me to get 150GB for $300.  Anyone know if I can I just buy that and plug the new pre-paid SIM into my Huawei B618 4GX modem until the next billing month starts?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit