Jagged33
Level 2: Rookie

Questions on WiFi operation of 4G modem

I've just obtained the 4G WiFi modem, which I'm currently using, subject to rather iffy coverage in the building I happen to be in at the moment.  Leaving that aside, I'm unable (so far) to use it in the mode in which I had intended and would be grateful for answers to the following:

1. Is it necessary to unlock the SIM with the PIN every time the device is turned on?  I'd really like to disable this check if possible (I didn't have to do this with another brand of 3G WiFi router that I bought this one to replace).

2. Can the device work without being USB-attached to some computer?  If so, how do I get that to work?  Right now, unless I attach it via USB, I'm unable to either access the admin console (telstra.4g, 192.168.1.1) or indeed access the Internet at all!  The modem is obviously connected to the Telstra network and I can happily connect a device to it via WiFi, but there doesn't seem to be any path from one to the other without the USB connection!!!  Again, I didn't have these restrictions with my previous WiFi 3G modem.

I sincerely hope I'm missing something obvious here, as my main reason for procuring a WiFi modem, both now and previously, is so that I can place the modem in the optimal signal position, which may not be where my laptop and desk are situated!

I'd be most grateful if someone could quickly tell me what I'm doing wrong (or not doing right).

Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jagged33

Re: Questions on WiFi operation of 4G modem

Sorry, I just found the admin option for disabling SIM security so ignore my first question.  Thank you.

Jagged33

Well, having disabled SIM security, I am now able to access the admin console wirelessly, and I'm able (sort of) to access the Internet, but it's EXTREMELY FLAKY, working one minute, not working the next couple of minutes. It seems that using WiFi is somehow negatively affecting the reliability of the Internet connection, making it unusable in its current state and forcing me to revert to the USB connection.  

I'd like to know if others are experiencing similar problems using the WiFi capability when the device is not USB-attached.  Are there known problems in this mode?  (The WiFi seems to work fine when the device is USB-attached, as I can attest from using my iPad via WiFi.)

Jagged33

Final answer to my own question: The problems I was experiencing must have to do with the location where I was, as I've since taken it to another location where I've had excellent 4G reception and uninterrupted WiFi connectivity to the Internet (no USB connection) for several hours now.  

Thanks for allowing me to post here.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit