Laura1967
Level 3: Gumshoe

Rebooting of Nighthawk MR5100, wifi signal strength loss, alternating between 4G and 5G

Answered

I have a few issues with my Nighthawk MR5100.

Where I placed my wifi in my room, after I bought it, a month ago, it showed 5 bars with excellent signal strength at 5G and fast download speeds. It never went to 4G in that location.

A week ago, a month later,  all of a sudden the mobile router's signal strength in that same location went to 4G, with slower download speed and the signal strength varies between poor to fair.

I found a location in my room where the router is at 5G but the signal strength varies from fair to good, but not excellent, not like how it used to be for one month. It can also alternate between 5G to 4G in that location.

A few times the router has rebooted itself.

The temperature in my room has not been too hot and the router doesn't feel too hot.

I use the 5GHz setting.

I have rebooted the router daily and even reset the router to factory settings quite a few times.

Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Laura1967
Accepted Solution

Re: Rebooting of Nighthawk MR5100, wifi signal strength loss, alternating between 4G and 5G

@Mkrtich wrote:

Hi - mobile technologies have many unknowns, so it is a difficult question to address. I don't have any experience with this product but have experimented with 4G modems, so this is only for general advice. 

What is the differential you are now experiencing between 5G and 4G - Download and Upload - technically the MR5100 has impeccable 4G credentials - in theory vs practice, it is rated as a CAT 22 modem and can aggregate up to 7 channels in ideal circumstances which may provide near to equivalent 5G outcomes for some users depending on their location from the cell tower. 

When noting speed test results - in 4G, note the Band being used, the Bandwidth allocated for the DL  (10/15/20Mhz) and UL (10/15/20 Mhz) and if Channel Aggregation is being used. 

Some suggestions -

1. The 5G cell that was providing you excellent signal strength may be down for maintenance purposes and your residence may be receiving a marginal signal from its adjacent cell. If you go into the Network Settings you should see what LTE Band your modem is connected to and when you do have a 5G signal, you will also see similar statistics - you will see the actual measured signal received power (RSRP) and quality (RSRQ) measurements along with the Cell ID Number - take a screen shot picture or write them down for your records so that you have a base line for comparison testing when you move your MR5100 around the home.  

On this modem 4G LTE will use B3(1800 Mhz), B7(2600 Mhz), B8(900 Mhz) and B28(700Mhz) and 5G using n78 (3500 Mhz) - Telstra is starting to reharvest some 3G frequencies for 5G, so it may also appear on B8.

2. Suggest you take your MR5100 outside and do some best location testing at home and other locations using your smart phone on 5Ghz and take snapshot of screens.

3. Mobile Broadband is a very dynamic environment - if insufficient resources are available on 5G and the modem can accommodate a better outcome for the user on one particular 4G band vs another, it will connect you on that service. 

4. You may have some configuration options in the modem that allow you to specify a preference for 5G vs 4G but being a Telstra unit , it may be restricted to the current default setting. Experiment with these settings to see if one setting suits your home better than others. I ended up leave my 4G modem on Auto selection so that I could observe speed difference between bands.

5. External antennae are also a possibility for getting a better signal if the unit is primarily stationed at home. If you decide to connect them, be careful with the TS9 connectors on the MR5100 - they are used on most Hotspots and are very small and somewhat fragile. 

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reply to my dilemma!

I have noticed that when I turn on the unit there is 5G with 5 bars.  After it connects to my phone and computer ( both brand new, Microsoft Surface 3 laptop and Samsung Galaxy S20 5G), in the old location ( which used to have excellent signal strength for a month), it can vary between 4G and 5G with signal strength from poor to fair, especially after I pick up the unit and put it down.

At the moment it is near my desk, which is the only place that provides reliable, steady 5G connection and is 5G with 3 bars with a signal strength varying from fair to good. There was an excellent signal strength for about 10 minutes before going back to fair and then to good

In other close locations in my room, when I leave it it for a while, it goes to 4G from poor to fair and when I pick up the unit and then put it back again in the same spot, it goes to 5G and at a fair signal and then back to 4G.

It seems to be quite random and all over the place!

Thank you again, kind regards!

Kind regards!

View solution in original post

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Rebooting of Nighthawk MR5100, wifi signal strength loss, alternating between 4G and 5G

That's a challenging question with many answers depending on the importance you place on the need for speed. In my 4G home tests, I can get 3 Mbps to 60 Mbps depending on where I position the CAT 6 modem, what Band it is connecting to and if Channel Aggregation is being deployed. 

This morning I watched a YouTube clip review on the Telstra Netgear M5100 (5G CAT 22 - 869 Mbps DL) vs the M2 ( 4G CAT 20 -393 Mbps)  vs the M1 (4G CAT 16 - 218 Mbps) and came away thinking you would not need an antennae if you live near a cell tower and find the sweet spot at home. That is why I was interested in understanding what your 5G vs 4G speeds were.  I am old school and happy with 50 Mbps on NBN HFCSmiley Happy.

These devices are primarily made as Hotspots but can be used for stay-at-home modems which can accommodate external antennae with cautionary installation of intermediary connector cables that convert the TS9 micro ports to SMA coax connectors for the antennae cables.   

YouTube has a good collection of review videos are a good educational source for understanding the reason why there are two categories - the eBay $20 to $150 market and then the more 'affordable' professional products $200 to $400 market. People have done tear down reviews on eBay antennae and once you see the lack of quality of production inside, you realise why they are cheap. 

1. M5100 Review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm2DgSCWuTY 

2. For my personal education purposes, I have viewed many presentations from the RF Shop in Adelaide and the South African Inventor of the  Poynting product range which are in the 'affordable' professional market. This clip covers the M2 with an early version of one of their current products -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm2DgSCWuTY 

What I found interesting about this is how the two converter cables can impact the signal strength when not connected properly. I think these products are more likely to be used in marginal coverage areas rather than metro areas which will be infilled with grater coverage over the next two years, but it comes back to what people are trying to achieve and how much they are willing to spend. He also has a video on why you shouldn't buy a cheap Antenna. I have no affiliation with this company.

Other Queensland suppliers are Powertec, Telco Antennas and maybe readers may suggest other solutions. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Mkrtich

Hi - mobile technologies have many unknowns, so it is a difficult question to address. I don't have any experience with this product but have experimented with 4G modems, so this is only for general advice. 

What is the differential you are now experiencing between 5G and 4G - Download and Upload - technically the MR5100 has impeccable 4G credentials - in theory vs practice, it is rated as a CAT 22 modem and can aggregate up to 7 channels in ideal circumstances which may provide near to equivalent 5G outcomes for some users depending on their location from the cell tower. 

When noting speed test results - in 4G, note the Band being used, the Bandwidth allocated for the DL  (10/15/20Mhz) and UL (10/15/20 Mhz) and if Channel Aggregation is being used. 

Some suggestions -

1. The 5G cell that was providing you excellent signal strength may be down for maintenance purposes and your residence may be receiving a marginal signal from its adjacent cell. If you go into the Network Settings you should see what LTE Band your modem is connected to and when you do have a 5G signal, you will also see similar statistics - you will see the actual measured signal received power (RSRP) and quality (RSRQ) measurements along with the Cell ID Number - take a screen shot picture or write them down for your records so that you have a base line for comparison testing when you move your MR5100 around the home.  

On this modem 4G LTE will use B3(1800 Mhz), B7(2600 Mhz), B8(900 Mhz) and B28(700Mhz) and 5G using n78 (3500 Mhz) - Telstra is starting to reharvest some 3G frequencies for 5G, so it may also appear on B8.

2. Suggest you take your MR5100 outside and do some best location testing at home and other locations using your smart phone on 5Ghz and take snapshot of screens.

3. Mobile Broadband is a very dynamic environment - if insufficient resources are available on 5G and the modem can accommodate a better outcome for the user on one particular 4G band vs another, it will connect you on that service. 

4. You may have some configuration options in the modem that allow you to specify a preference for 5G vs 4G but being a Telstra unit , it may be restricted to the current default setting. Experiment with these settings to see if one setting suits your home better than others. I ended up leave my 4G modem on Auto selection so that I could observe speed difference between bands.

5. External antennae are also a possibility for getting a better signal if the unit is primarily stationed at home. If you decide to connect them, be careful with the TS9 connectors on the MR5100 - they are used on most Hotspots and are very small and somewhat fragile. 

Laura1967
Accepted Solution

@Mkrtich wrote:

Some suggestions -

Hello, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reply to my dilemma!

I have noticed that when I turn on the unit there is 5G with 5 bars.  After it connects to my phone and computer ( both brand new, Microsoft Surface 3 laptop and Samsung Galaxy S20 5G), in the old location ( which used to have excellent signal strength for a month), it can vary between 4G and 5G with signal strength from poor to fair, especially after I pick up the unit and put it down.

At the moment it is near my desk, which is the only place that provides reliable, steady 5G connection and is 5G with 3 bars with a signal strength varying from fair to good. There was an excellent signal strength for about 10 minutes before going back to fair and then to good

In other close locations in my room, when I leave it it for a while, it goes to 4G from poor to fair and when I pick up the unit and then put it back again in the same spot, it goes to 5G and at a fair signal and then back to 4G.

It seems to be quite random and all over the place!

Thank you again, kind regards!

Kind regards!

Laura1967

Hello again!

I paid a visit to Telstra as last night there were so many alterations between 4G and 5G ranging form poor to good to excellent signals...it was all over the place, varying from minute to minute, so unstable!

The young gentleman mentioned maintenance and what you stated!

I also did a drive around my area and drove to the 3 towers with 5 G in my area which I located on the RFNSA website. One tower that emits 5G is not emitting 5G at all according to my modem!

Yet, the other 2 towers are emitting 5G , with 5 bars according to my modem.

I drove around my area, testing my modem and there 5G 5 bars and 4G five bars in certain areas...varying...

And when I paid a visit  to my father's man hole at the back of the house, 5G 5 bars! Dad says it interferes with his satellite TV!

In my bedroom, at the moment it varies between 5G and 4G 3bars, fair strength.

That is better than nothing! I am so relieved there is nothing wrong with my modem.

Many cheers!

Mkrtich

Hi - thanks for your feedback. It is re-assuring and it's great that you did those tests. 5G is broadcasting at very high frequencies in the 3500 Mhz so it is very susceptible to all sorts of interference and is challenged in homes to various degrees. The future world of the 5G Nirvana being marketed is going to get even more challenged as its frequencies operate in the much higher ranges of 26000 to 280000 Mhz. Glad all is OK with the modem. 

Dowser
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Informative post @Mkrtich 

I’d be inclined to try the external antenna option.

Laura1967

Thank you!

It has been a learning experience for me, which has led to me studying more about Wi-Fi and frequencies. I did not even look at the diagnostic of my Netgear  Nighthawk M5 status page until now...which has led me to a better understanding of what us going on.

The gentleman at Telstra did mention that 5G can be a hit and miss at times due to the frequencies...

If I were to to get an external antenna, what would be a good one for my modem?

Cheers!

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

That's a challenging question with many answers depending on the importance you place on the need for speed. In my 4G home tests, I can get 3 Mbps to 60 Mbps depending on where I position the CAT 6 modem, what Band it is connecting to and if Channel Aggregation is being deployed. 

This morning I watched a YouTube clip review on the Telstra Netgear M5100 (5G CAT 22 - 869 Mbps DL) vs the M2 ( 4G CAT 20 -393 Mbps)  vs the M1 (4G CAT 16 - 218 Mbps) and came away thinking you would not need an antennae if you live near a cell tower and find the sweet spot at home. That is why I was interested in understanding what your 5G vs 4G speeds were.  I am old school and happy with 50 Mbps on NBN HFCSmiley Happy.

These devices are primarily made as Hotspots but can be used for stay-at-home modems which can accommodate external antennae with cautionary installation of intermediary connector cables that convert the TS9 micro ports to SMA coax connectors for the antennae cables.   

YouTube has a good collection of review videos are a good educational source for understanding the reason why there are two categories - the eBay $20 to $150 market and then the more 'affordable' professional products $200 to $400 market. People have done tear down reviews on eBay antennae and once you see the lack of quality of production inside, you realise why they are cheap. 

1. M5100 Review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm2DgSCWuTY 

2. For my personal education purposes, I have viewed many presentations from the RF Shop in Adelaide and the South African Inventor of the  Poynting product range which are in the 'affordable' professional market. This clip covers the M2 with an early version of one of their current products -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm2DgSCWuTY 

What I found interesting about this is how the two converter cables can impact the signal strength when not connected properly. I think these products are more likely to be used in marginal coverage areas rather than metro areas which will be infilled with grater coverage over the next two years, but it comes back to what people are trying to achieve and how much they are willing to spend. He also has a video on why you shouldn't buy a cheap Antenna. I have no affiliation with this company.

Other Queensland suppliers are Powertec, Telco Antennas and maybe readers may suggest other solutions. 

Laura1967

Hello again. Thank you again for your informative email and for again taking the time out to respond. I had an M2 Nighthawk but it died after 3 years of good service, due to the port for the power adapter not working. There wasn't any problem with the speed and WiFi strength at all. The problem I am having now with my M5 only also happened quite a few times with my M2 and that was a few months ago.

Thank you again for the information!

Kind regards!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit