Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Received a new SIM even though I was told to use the existing SIM

Answered

I upgraded recently from a 3yo 4G hotspot (the Haiwei model) to the new Netgear Nighthawk M1 and started a new 2 year contract for the new device. I was told by Telstra support I must continue to use my existing SIM card and simply move it from the old to new which I have done. Everything is working fine. I am puzzled as to why Telstra included a new SIM card in the packaging for the Nighthawk?

Telstra customer | 2 iPhone plans | 4G Nighthawk plan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Received a new SIM even though I was told to use the existing SIM

Hi Anorax,

Thanks for reaching out.

If this was simply processed as a recontact there should be no issue here, generally, when placing an order the system will prompt the consultant to dispatch a new SIM card with device so that it comes with all the components required to get up and running (for example, the previous SIM card could be either lost, damaged or the wrong size), if you do not insert the new SIM card (and by result, not activate it) the old one will continue to work without issue.

In saying this however, please check your MyAccount http://tel.st/cpyn or 24x7 App http://tel.st/app (or check the next bill) to make sure that a new service hasn't been processed, it is also possible that this wasn't processed as a recontact, and a new service was set up (with a new number associated) if this is the case, you would need to speak with our teams on 13 22 00 (and say "Disconnect" -> "close and account or service") to make sure that the old service is removed to stop you from being charged and you will need to use the new SIM card.

let us know how you go.

Jesse

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Anorax,

Thanks for reaching out.

If this was simply processed as a recontact there should be no issue here, generally, when placing an order the system will prompt the consultant to dispatch a new SIM card with device so that it comes with all the components required to get up and running (for example, the previous SIM card could be either lost, damaged or the wrong size), if you do not insert the new SIM card (and by result, not activate it) the old one will continue to work without issue.

In saying this however, please check your MyAccount http://tel.st/cpyn or 24x7 App http://tel.st/app (or check the next bill) to make sure that a new service hasn't been processed, it is also possible that this wasn't processed as a recontact, and a new service was set up (with a new number associated) if this is the case, you would need to speak with our teams on 13 22 00 (and say "Disconnect" -> "close and account or service") to make sure that the old service is removed to stop you from being charged and you will need to use the new SIM card.

let us know how you go.

Jesse

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Thanks for the answer. Everything seems to be ok and I am only being charged the one contract fee on the phone number attached to the previous device. I will double check this when I receive my next bill.
Telstra customer | 2 iPhone plans | 4G Nighthawk plan

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit