CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Setting IP Address on Telstra Elite Prepaid Mobile Wi-fi

I picked up a new Telstra Mobile Wi-Fi 4G device over the weekend and am having no end of troubles configuring it... with a but.  I am using an Apple MacBook Pro and an iPhone 5, both of which seem to exhibit the same issue.

Lets's start with the BUT.  It works on default settings:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Th3_H4wk/2013/defaultsettings.png~original

The device connects via WiFi (or USB), resolves an IP address via DHCP and works perfectly.

Now for the strange part, if I change the device IP to 10.10.39.254 and the other settings as required (see image) things start to fall apart.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Th3_H4wk/2013/customsettings.png~original

All of a sudden neither the MBP or the iPhone can not resolve an IP address over WiFi and manually setting the IP doesn't seem to help either.  Plugging the USB cable into the MBP gets things working over USB and allows me to change the modems IP settings back to the default settings where everything works over WiFi again.

Does anyone know why the device refuses to work in an alternative range?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Setting IP Address on Telstra Elite Prepaid Mobile Wi-fi

Hi The_Hawk (cool name btw), welcome to the forum.

I have had a chat with a few of our technical teams and regrettably, it seems that changing the IP range for the LAN is not something that we support.

From the lack of reply on the forum it doesn't look like any members have experience to share so in this case I would suggest having a chat to the manufacturer directly.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Sounds like a plan, I will talk to Sierra about it (submitted a support ticket just now in fact), although given it's a "standard" function already available you have to wonder why it doesn't work out of the box.

Highlighted

Update:

I wrote to Sierra who were *very* quick to respond!  Excellent service right there.  They suggested that the subnet might need to be changed:

"The settings you are setting look correct but I would try using sub-net mask 255.255.255.0 as that is the default value in most configurations. In you case you are specifying 10.10.39 and last value is a range so 255.255.255.0 sub-net mask should work."

I personally can't see how this would be an issue, since the range I was using (255.255.0.0) is wider than the range they suggest (255.255.255.0), in any case I thought I would give it a go and changed them as suggested to this:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Th3_H4wk/2013/Telstra4G-notworking.png~original

Unfortunately this didn't help at all.

In an effort to test, test and retest the changes I thought I would do a factory reset and re-apply everything to be sure.   Again this didn't help...

BUT.  I did notice one strange thing.  In the standard setup the modems IP address is 192.168.1.1, but the USB IP Address is 192.168.2.2.  With the standard sub net being 255.255.255.0 that puts the USBs IP address in a different subnet to the WiFi.

Taking this theory and moving the USB IP to 10.10.40.1 in my scenario like this:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Th3_H4wk/2013/Telstra4G-Working.png~original

and everything is now working as expected it should!

There must be something in the software that doesn't like the WiFi side of things and the USB side of things being within the same subnet??

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for posting the solution, I am glad that it is working for you now.

Your investigative skills are worthy of Sherlock Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit