SamG2
Level 1: Cadet

Should I buy 5G Home Internet or NBN fixed service

I am moving into a new home in two weeks time, and am unsure whether I should sign up for a NBN Service or the 5G Mobile Broadband service ( The Telstra 5G Wi-Fi Pro, on a 60G plan), I have checked and I will have both 5G coverage and NBN available at my new address.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Should I buy 5G Home Internet or NBN fixed service

@SamG2 wrote:

I am moving into a new home in two weeks time, and am unsure whether I should sign up for a NBN Service or the 5G Mobile Broadband service ( The Telstra 5G Wi-Fi Pro, on a 60G plan), I have checked and I will have both 5G coverage and NBN available at my new address.

Hi @SamG2 

I guess it depends on your needs.

1. Do you need 5G speeds (If your NBN isn't capable).

2. Are you prepared to pay 5G prices versus NBN prices.

3. How much data do you need? The NBN plans are unlimited, and come with free local/national and mobile calls (Inc 500 free 13 calls if you use those number to pay bills etc)

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
SteveW_52

I agree with @Ozmoz comments..

I would also add that 5G is still emerging as a technology and as yet the real world experience may not not match the current  advertising hype. The hardware and the network are in their early days and not without trouble - as can be seen by some posts in this forum. In many cases, coverage maps and claims are based on projections rather than actual capability. While 5G will eventually meet the performance claims, it isn't there yet - some of the bands required are not fully apportioned to suppliers yet, so it could be bleeding edge technology for the next 12 months or more..

NBN on the other hand is on the ground and working now...  it may not be the full 'bees knees' internet we were wanting, but it is getting better.  you can always go with the known NBN and also dip your toe in the water with 5G to see it that actually suits your needs, but have fixed broadband as a fallback,

It's horses for courses, as with most things..  but you seem to be open to doing some investigation. What you need and what best suits those needs is a decision on you can make - most people have long term reliability and consistency of service high on their list of needs..

So 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Sam, my personal opinion is having had Telstra cable 115mb/s for years, I switched to 4GX mobile broadband 4 1/2 years ago for a similar speed.

2 months ago I upgraded my modem to a Nighthawk (Netgear) and with barely 1 bar of signal I now get between 200mb/s and 300 mb/s.

Telstra have drastically improved the plans,  this may be a great solution.

4GX is much more refined that 5G, which will take a few more years to get all the milliwave frequencies operating,  (as they're still being used by other organizations).

5G is great for some,   and others suffer the "early adopter" problems.

Also, Telstra's only infrastructure of their own is now their mobile system and they take great care of it.

PS: Where you say you've checked that you have 5G service, was that from a map or have you actually tried a 5G phone or modem  in your house exactly  where your modem will go?

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit