pdalton
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra 4G Sierra (320U) modem compatibility issues with USB3.0

When I connect my Telstra 4G Sierra USB modem to my laptops USB 3.0 port it crashes windows and tries to reboot (unsuccessfully). The modem works fine in the USB 2.0 port and I'm able to run other USB 2.0 devices in the USB3.0 port.

I've been to see Telstra techs and they referred me to Sierra which I've tried but haven't had a reply as yet. Has anyone got a fix for this problem?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra 4G Sierra (320U) modem compatibility issues with USB3.0

does it state the modem is USB 3.0 compatible? (I don't have one so not familiar), checked for any updates available for your PC that might help?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
QwertFu
Level 12: Master Detective

I havn't heard of USB3.0 being a problem with the new 4G modems. Can you tell us if you have 32 or 64 bit install and version/service pack of Windows? Also, when you hear back from Sierra, pretty please post their reply here.

The transfer rate of USB 2.0 is still far above the data speeds of LTE (even though LTE is insanely quick.) so maybe it's one of those computer problems where you can turn a blind eye for now, and wait for a driver update from Sierra.

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
pdalton

Thanks for the advice, I'm operating windows 7 64 bit.

InfoSteve

Have you heard anything more for a solution here? I am experiencing a similar issue, new fully updated Win7x64 laptop (Dell Vostro 3750) crashing to BSOD 10D every time 4G modem plugged into USB3. Using latest software from Telstra, also tried latest from Sierra.

aqua

Anyone heard anything, I'm having the same problem, fully updated Asus UX31E
LeighFinch
Level 2: Rookie

I am liaising with a Telstra Tech support person at the moment.  My computer has 2 USB SS 3.0 ports which he advised me not to use.

Now doing a system restore and will try using the computers USB 2.0 port only.

Note to self:  DO NOT USE USB 3.0 PORT, DO NOT USE USB 3.0 PORT DO NOT USE USB 3.0 PORT

Hopefully this works

brucekeet

I have 2 laptops , they both run Windows  Home Pemium 7  64 bit , The Samsung RF 711 has 4 usb ports  , 2x usb 2 , 2 x usb 3 , the all work fine with the Sierra Aircard 320u , the other computer  , an Asus G74 sx 230v has 3x2.0 usb , 1 x3usb  , the Siera Aircard  works fine in the usb 2's but I get the BSOD if I try the usb3 port  , I think alot of Asus computers do the same on usb 3  . I would try adressing Asus to get a fix  as some of their yet to be released laptops are usb3 only , ex. the g75 sx .I will not be preordering a G75 until they Asus resolve this issue .

yackem

I have the same modem and a DELL XPS15Z laptop which only has USB 3.0 ports (no usb 2.0) and all works perfectly. I have another post praising the modem.

Ladyfern

Thank goodness I found this post I thought I was going crazy.

I do some work for my ex boss and he recently (3 days ago) bought me a new Dell laptop when we connected the 4g device at work it worked perfectly.

Last night when I connected it at home I must have used the USB3 port and the laptop crashed - bigtime. I tried it again same thing.

But when I used the USB port on the other side of the laptop - no problem. So now I know the solution - always use the left hand side USB port.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit