Level 1: Cadet

Telstra 4GX modem

Answered

A couple questions regarding this modem:

1. What is the range of the modem, will my devices have to be in the same room as it or can it be accessed throughout my home?

2. What kind of warranty does telstra offer regarding this modem?

3. It says that it is good for gaming systems and streaming. Is it going to use as much as mobile hot spot/ tethering?

3a: What kind of data usage am I looking at in regards to having it connected to a ps4?

3b: Or streaming hd videos?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra 4GX modem

1: Roughly 1-2 rooms away - as a general rule your probably looking at 10-15 meters in diameter rage with no obstacles

2: Standard 2 year warranty

3: Data use will be the same as using a normal internet connection*

*If you're on a slow internet connection video streaming can use more data as higher speeds on the mobile network mean services like Netflix and YouTube can play videos in 4K. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

1: Roughly 1-2 rooms away - as a general rule your probably looking at 10-15 meters in diameter rage with no obstacles

2: Standard 2 year warranty

3: Data use will be the same as using a normal internet connection*

*If you're on a slow internet connection video streaming can use more data as higher speeds on the mobile network mean services like Netflix and YouTube can play videos in 4K. 

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Level 1: Cadet

Thanks!!

Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Canuckle,

not a techie expert but have had a 4gx modem for a few years. (and you won't get help from Telstra currently sooooo)...

1. WiFi (?) range depends on wall material and how many walls, doors, turns, corners your house has. My house has 30cm thick solid stone walls so when I had just the modem the WiFi would only pass through 1 wall, but I could get signal up to 2 rooms away if the WiFi managed to bounce through open doors etc. Wasn't real good. Veneer walls should be no problem.

I eventually bought a netgear cradle for my modem, from Telstra, and this has a MUCH stronger WiFi signal. Great!

(Mobile signal) Oh and because I live nowhere near a Tesltra tower I also have a $800 Yagi arial on my roof which plugs into the modem to pick up a good mobile signal. Great!

2. Warranty - one year. And I have had two replaced over time (within the year).

3. I game a LOT with the 4gx modem.  Due to distance from my local tower my speeds (up and down) range from 6 to 42 Mbps, typically 25. 25Mbps is great, but 6Mbps is OK (just depending on the (multiplayer) game). FYI: Latency (Ping) is also vital for games. I get 6-15ms (Ping of 31 to 60) which is very good. Will basically be the same as a mobile phone hot spot BUT: mobile maybe a bit slower, limited WiFi range and mobile plans cost a lot more for data. 4gx modem best.

3a. For actual game playing - not much data. A few hundred Mbytes of data for a few hours multiplayer/ internet gaming I'm guessing. Downloads are, of course, whatever (I have games ranging from 5GB to 60GB). I'm guessing a PS4 is the same as my PC.

3b. I can stream the old (1080i) HD reliably but not the 4K HD. 4K HD needs reliable speeds of 25Mbps upwards so I could do it if my modem was really humming but in general I don't get those speeds often enough to bother. You might - the modem is capable of it. Just depends on your signal and how many other locals are hammering your tower with Netflix etc.

Good luck mate.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit