Palpatine
Level 20: Director

Telstra 5G Home Internet Plans, a disconnect between the Website and the legal T's & C's as filed

Answered

My son is about to move into his newly renovated house and is planning to operate on 5G as he has good 5G coverage.

https://www.telstra.com.au/customer-terms/home-family#mbb offers $75/m, (plus $24.95 for the modem) incl 200Gb/month?.

The agent he was dealing with online recommended that he read the “Customer terms” link, which he did!

https://www.telstra.com.au/customer-terms/home-family#mbb The Customer terms offer $85 per month with 500Gb and the modem included (on a 2 year plan)

On going back to the online chat and to a T Shop, he is told that the Customer Terms refers to an “invite only” plan. Which in my understanding is quite untrue, the “Customer Term” are the bible and what is in the customer terms should be available to everyone? Historically, “Under the counter - invite only” offers were never in the Customer terms.

Fortunately no one ever navigates to the copy of “Our Customer Terms”, but if they took this one to the TIO or the Regulator, Telstra would, most likely, be ordered to provide everyone who has purchased any Telstra 5G Home Internet plan with 500Gb (because that is what Telstra say in the only executive legal document).

Telstra might have a defence if the Customer Terms for the other advertised plans were found via the links associated with the advertised plans, but I can’t find any by following such links. The poorly crafted words in 2.1 (to the OCT) are of little legal standing, as every time you publish an advert or hang a price ticket on an item in a shop you are, in a legal sense, issuing an "Invite (to the public) to treat” ie to enter into negotiations re the product.

I found it rather difficult to find a Telstra 5G Home Internet plan in the first place - I went down a lot of dead end alleys (well not actually dead end, they all took me to buying a 5G Phone)

The only way I could find (and replicate) the navigation was to follow as described below:

• From the Telstra.com “Personal” home page, expand this page by clicking on Personal, and
  • scroll down to: Products, and:
  • Select 5G devices; and
  • scroll down to: What do I need to get 5G?
  • select A 5G-ready phone or device
  • Select See 5G phones and devices and
  • scroll down to Telstra 5G Wi-Fi Pro
  • Select Buy Now
  • Select Add a Plan Scroll to the end of Large 200, and:
  • Click on Critical Information Summary. Scroll to the bottom line of the fine print to:
  • “This is a summary only. The full legal terms for this plan are available at telstra.com/customer-terms “ and
  • select Our Customer Terms ,
  • select Home and Family terms, and
  • select: Find out more ->
  • Select Mobile Broadband ->
  • Select Telstra 5G Home Internet
  • Download either the only PDF or Word document which describe the $85/500Gb plan only?.

Not having a whinge, just my contribution in the interest of getting things right. please feel free to pass this on to your pricing legal and regulatory team.

But I would like to be able to get the $85/500Gb/Incl Modem as described in the only copy of the "Our Customer Terms" that I can find for Telstra 5G Home Internet??

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra 5G Home Internet Plans, a disconnect between the Website and the legal T's & C's as

@Jupiter  - Thanks for pointing out the difference, it has clarified the difference in the offerings and revealed a 5G modem that I was not aware of - it is a challenge to keep up and navigate through these options. 

Correction to my original post. 

To my revised knowledge, Telstra has three 5G modems for Mobile Broadband selection and one modem for 5G Home Broadband - this is the $85/500 MB/ month plan and on the same page you have to apply to Telstra with your address and I assume Telstra who will verify if your location is eligible.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/5g-broadband-plans#plan 

1. Telstra 5G HTC Home Hub - designed to stay at home - maybe Geo Locked [portable]

2. Telstra 5G Wi-Fi Pro - portable 

3. Telstra Nighthawk M5 - portable

4. Telstra 5G Home  - White Huawei modem - must stay at home Geo-Locked - not made for connection on the Go.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/5g-home-support

This CIS on this plan is clear about download allowance. 

So it seems a correction is required to the OCT document that relates to Mobile Broadband Modems. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Mkrtich

Re: Telstra 5G Home Internet Plans, a disconnect between the Website and the legal T's & C's as

Hi - you raise a valid point in regards to the "Our Customer Terms - Telstra Mobile Section, Part C Pricing Plans - Telstra 5G Home Internet" Document not being consistent with current published offers on Telstra's web page. The only maximum data allowance 5G Plan I can see on the web page for the Telstra 5G Wi-Fi Pro is $75/200GB/month (same with Nighthawk M5) rather than the OCT Document stated $85/500GB/Month. I can understand why, at this early stage of 5G deployment, Telstra would qualify Home Broadband applications for 5G installations to ensure integrity of link connection for each customer meets minimum or acceptable standards. 

I get the impression that this document was written for a static Home 5G modem device rather a portable 5G pocket modem as the terms refer to Geo locking at home address with significant to unusable speed cap if it is taken away from home. It may also be a signal that the current plans may be extended to include the higher allowance.

To my knowledge Telstra has three 5G modems for selection

1. Telstra 5G HTC Home Hub - designed to stay at home - maybe Geo Locked

3. Telstra Nighthawk M5 - portable. 

@ashliem  - would you be able to pass this post onto the relevant Product Manager for investigation and clarification please so that consistency exits between the web pages and attachments.   

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra 5G Home Broadband is in the Trial phase at the moment. It is not on the main Telstra website (it is on exchange.telstra.com.au) and is currently available by invitation only (which is stated in the Availability section of the Customer terms for that product) to customers who live in areas that do not have good landline based broadband but have good 5G network capability.

Basically, it comes down to Mobile Broadband and 5G Home Broadband are totally separate products, and the latter has not been launched as a mainstream product offering yet.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Palpatine

@Mkrtich @ashliem I spent the best part of 10-12 years as an integral member of the product/pricing/legal/regulatory committees (I probably still hold the record for the most pricing proposals submitted by any individual) and such an inconsistency would be a sackable offence. The regulator would insist that all customers be notified and offered a refund if the advertised product was greater than what was filed in the OCT, or conversely offered what was in the OCT if there was a difference.

I'm sure the regulator would still hold that view (and possibly a fine) 

A clarification in the original post - a customer trial T's & C's OCT would sometimes be filed with the regulator, but never included in publicly available.

If you ever find online reference to Telstra Nighthawk M5, following the links takes you to the same $85/500Gb OCT. To be fair, I feel that someone has made a mistake, but still, I'd like the $85/500 plan??

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Palpatine

Not quite true Jupiter - the $85/500 plan is the ONLY plan described in the OCT that is linked to ALL the advertised Telstra 5G Mobile Broadband Plans.  It is most likely a mistake, but it is clearly the T's & C's that are in the public domain!!

Jupiter

The problem is they direct you to the wrong T&Cs. It should have been for the Telstra Data Plans

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/consumer-advice/pdf/consumer/mobiledata.pdf

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

@Jupiter  - Thanks for pointing out the difference, it has clarified the difference in the offerings and revealed a 5G modem that I was not aware of - it is a challenge to keep up and navigate through these options. 

Correction to my original post. 

To my revised knowledge, Telstra has three 5G modems for Mobile Broadband selection and one modem for 5G Home Broadband - this is the $85/500 MB/ month plan and on the same page you have to apply to Telstra with your address and I assume Telstra who will verify if your location is eligible.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/5g-broadband-plans#plan 

1. Telstra 5G HTC Home Hub - designed to stay at home - maybe Geo Locked [portable]

3. Telstra Nighthawk M5 - portable

4. Telstra 5G Home  - White Huawei modem - must stay at home Geo-Locked - not made for connection on the Go.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/5g-home-support

This CIS on this plan is clear about download allowance. 

So it seems a correction is required to the OCT document that relates to Mobile Broadband Modems. 

View solution in original post

Mkrtich

I may have incorrectly identified the the modem as made by Huawei based on the photo appearing to follow the Huawei 4G B818 series modem form factor. Based on a whirlpool.net .au post from an owner, it appears not to show the vendor on the unit or in the GUI but does show the code, AW 1000, on the label, Made in China - may be a relative of the Arcadyan LH 1000?

I installed an Optus 4G B818 yesterday for a friend - this one looks to be wider than the B818 series units.

The YouTube link clip is a quick review of speed tests by the owner.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDwSZTzNeB4 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit