Flying_Scott
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra 5G Wifi Pro Modem external antenna issue

Hi There, I recently purchased the Telstra 5g Wifi Pro which works but the issue is that the device doesn't recognize my external MIMO antenna.

I have seen other post about the same issue but have not seen any answer to this issue

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra 5G Wifi Pro Modem external antenna issue

You could ask the dedicated Telstra 5G Home support team by calling 1800 258 503 (8am – 8pm, 7 days a week).

Source

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Are you saying that the external MIMO antenna doesn't improve the signal? Or is there no signal when you switch to use the external antenna?

Have you checked that the antenna supports the Telstra 5G bands, especially the ones in use on the tower you are trying to connect to? Is the antenna aimed correctly?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser

You could ask the Telstra dedicated 5G Home support team on 1800 258 503 (8am – 8pm, 7 days a week).

Source

Flying_Scott

Hi Steve, the external MIMO antenna doesn't improve the signal on 4G or 5G when connected to the Telstra 5G wifi pro.

The external MIMO antenna covers 3G, 4G & 5G, it is a Poynting XPOL-2.

I also have an old ZTE MF910 and when I connect it to the external MIMO antenna I see a 10dbm improvement  on 4G.

SteveW_52

Is that the correct Poynting model? There is a XPOL-2 and also a XPOL-2-5G model..

https://poynting.tech/antennas/xpol-2-5g/

The ordinary one (no -5G) is only 3G/4G..  so maybe you were sent/supplied the wrong one? Perhaps talk to the seller to confirm it will work with the Telstra 5G bands..

How do you read the 10dBm gain you are seeing? From the MF910 signal details? 

Also, check you have the right connector to suit the modem ports (TS9 I think.. been caught out by that before, they are small and easy to get mixed up)

Stevo 52
Flying_Scott

Hi Steve, I still have the box the antenna came in and it says 5G on the box so yes it is XPOL-2-5G, but if it where the older 4G antenna then I should still see an improvement in the signal strength on 4G and I am not seeing any improvement on 4G but I do see an improvement when using the MF910.

The ZTE MF910 and Telstra 5g Wifi Pro(ZTE MU500) both have 2 x TS9 connectors and I ordered 2 x SMA to TS9 cables, which works fine on the MF910.

You asked about how I was checking the signal level, that is via the GUI on each device.

The GUI on each device is very similar, this is the link to the manual the Telstra 5g Wifi Pro

https://ztemobiles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/downloads/manuals/MU500_Help.pdf

You can see on page 23 on the information tab you can see
Signal Strength
Frequency

5G Signal Strength
5G Frequency

SteveW_52

Righto..  the right gear then but it isn't working..

I am not hands on familiar with the ZTE MU500, is there a setting to enable the external antenna, rather than the internal ones? I have had older modems where that was the only way to switch from one to the other. Also, have you tried switching the antenna leads - shouldn't make a difference but just maybe.. I couldn't see anything in the User Guide about that, but it might be a small item somewhere in the GUI..

If you have a multimeter, check the continuity of the SMA to TS9 cables (be careful of damaging the pins). Just trying to eliminate any basic issues..

Next step would be to try another antenna to see if it works any better..  not quite sure what to recommend to do that, it depends what suppliers are available to you.. 

Stevo 52
Flying_Scott

Hi Steve, I have not been able to find in the GUI or the screen that covers anything about antenna's and I have been looking for something like that but have not found anything yet.

On your suggestion to check the continuity of the SMA to TS9 cables, I do not see that will help as those work when connected to the MF910 and so does the antenna as I am seeing a 10dbm improvement using the same cables and antenna with both the MF910 and the MU500.

I was able to locate the manual the MF910 and it is almost identical to the MU500 GUI

https://ztemobiles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/downloads/User_guides/MF910Y_Help_1-4.pdf

Also I found an old post that looks to be the same issue that I am having and the suggestion in that post was that it was a firmware issue, but I have check the firmware on my device and it says it is up to date.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/mobile-broadband/telstra-5g-wifi-pro-modem-external-antennas-...

SteveW_52

If you are using the same cable then that should be fine, as long as they ay connecting properly..

Do you see a signal improvement on 4G with the MU500? And with the antenna connected, you sjust see the same 5G signal level as disconnected. If you watch the sifnal level as you connect the antenna does the signal change? Have you tried swapping the two leads of the antenna over?

It is looking like the antenna may not be supporting 5G, did you check the bands? the antenna seemed to have quite broad band frequencies. I'd suggest querying the manufacturer or supplier as the next step.

Stevo 52
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I would be reaching out to ZTE to see if they are aware of anything with your setup that could be causing the issue that you are seeing (don't bother with the suggestion from @Dowser to contact the Telstra 5G Home team as they don't provide support for your device - only for the specific 5G Home modem).

ZTE Customer Care Lines are open from 10AM to 4PM AEDT.

To talk directly to a ZTE Customer Care Representative call: 1300 789 475

To reach out to ZTE over email send your enquiry to support@zte.com.cn

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Flying_Scott

Hi Steve, no signal improvement on 4G with the MU500 and yes I have tried swapping the two leads and it made no difference.

I have emailed the suppler of the antenna and ZTE Australia to see what they suggest.

Thanks for your help

Flying_Scott

Hi Jupiter, Yes I emailed ZTE over the weekend, so I will see what they come back with on this.

And on the Telstra 5G Home, I did relies that they only cover a home device and I have a mobile device

Dowser

Thanks for your clarification on the role of that support phone number.

SteveW_52

I noted a post this morning that was of interest..  it wasn't about your issue but the poster (apollo61) stated:

"PS: the external antenna also doesn't work with this modem, but that's a different problem. If you want to buy this modem thinking you'll use external antenna don't get it."

So you might not be the only one with issues connecting an external antenna?

Stevo 52
apollo61

Hi Scott,

I have the same issue with my 5g WiFI Pro Modem - it will not react to being connected to the antenna at all. My other 4G Orbi goes from 1 bar to 5 bars when connected to the same antenna in the same position. 

Although my problem with the antenna is now irrelevant because the 5G Wifi Pro modem is not working at all, it keeps going into a loop when "Turning on WiFi" , it never turns it on. It receives signal but can't transmit wifi... 

Good luck !

Maligned

I too have just purchased a Wifi Pro and an LTE-XPOL-002-5G external antenna.  This makes no difference to the signal strength at all. I notice through a bit of googling that this is a common theme with this unit. Wish I knew this before I wasted my money.

Flying_Scott

H Maligned,

I totally agree given that this web site states "dual TS 9 antenna ports support 4G and 5G(N78)"

https://ztemobiles.com.au/telstra-5g-wifi-pro

I have emailed ZTE Australia but got no response,  so I called them today and talked to someone in India who said that I had to send an email to ZTE in China, which I have done, so let us see what come of that.

Maligned

I emailed them today also. The only response was that they have passed it on to customer service in China. We'll see what happens but not holding my breath for a positive outcome. May have to look at a Netgear Nighthawk M5. I'm trying to come up with a solution to the unless Satellite NBN service that I am on. I am in a marginal 5g area and was hoping this would be my saviour.

Flying_Scott

Hi Maligned,

Something you may want to consider, I did an experiment the other day, I mounted the Telstra 5G Wi-Fi pro to the top of my mast above my roof.

I normally get about 20 - 40 Download but only 1 - 2 upload but when it was on the top of the mast I was getting up to 186 Download and 60 Upload, so if you put it in to a weatherproof box and run a long USB cable in to it, this is what I am considering if we cant find a solution to the antenna problem.

Maligned

Sounds like an idea. I'd be happy with 20-40 download. I'm lucky if I get 5.

Maligned

So I have had no response from ZTE which is not surprise me so went with Flying_Scott idea and mounted the modem on the mast where my antenna should be. So far so good with 50mbs speeds and finally an internet solution that works. 

SteveW_52

Bit of a curse though, having to resort to that solution. Hope you put it in an enclosure to protect against the elements...

Stevo 52
Maligned

True but its either that or drop it in the bin. Telstra shouldn't be selling these falsely advertising that they work with an external antenna when they won't. I've wasted a lot of money on the modem and another $360 on an antenna. If I find it too troublesome at least I know I can get adequate reception and will invest in a netgear modem. And yes its in a waterproof enclosure.

Dowser

Before you drop it in the bin, you could call the Telstra Mobile Faults Assurance team on 1800 157 494 and ask if they can assist you.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit