Z0harm
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Bias for Ipad vs other Tablet for 3G/4G prepaid

I am buying a tablet with intent to use via pre-paid mobile broadband.

I notice for 3GB/mth will cost 0.97c/MB for IPad but 1.63c/MB for other brand? $30 v $50 pm.

How can Telstra have this brand bias isn't it anti competitive to favor one brand of product ie tablet over another? ACCC allow this?

I thought as consumer I should have right to choose which tablet I prefer and get same service from Telstra not matter which I choose.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Caaf
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstra Bias for Ipad vs other Tablet for 3G/4G prepaid

Are you comparing prepaid and a contracted plan??

Cheers,
Dave

Z0harm

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Those plans were specially put together when the first iPad launched with Telstra, since it was the only tablet device being offered. Since then other tablets have hit the market and the second set of plans was developed.

I am unsure why the separate iPad plans have continued on since this time, however I do know that these services have no capacity to make or receive calls / SMS whereas many other tablets do. It is possible that is a factor.

We have feed this back previously but I am happy to raise this again on your behalf.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
Z0harm

Ipad1 released 6 months before Samsung GTab in 2010 (28May vs 30Nov)

I am happy to use the Ipad service in my other brand Tablet without voice or text access.

If it isnt brand bias for same service than why do I read of instances where users move a valid paid current IPAD prepaid SIM into another Tablet (or MBB device) ie getting same service and Telstra IMEI checking cancels the IPAD plan structure to that SIM?

Why cant I have equal choice of which brand Tablet I wish to use for a prepaid data only Tablet SIM?

DanK
Community Manager

Part of the terms for the iPad plans is that if the SIM is inserted into any other device that it will be transferred over to a standard pre-paid service. As I said I can certainly pass on the feedback for you but I am not privy to the reasons why we have decided to have two plan structures.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Z0harm

Hi,

I understand that if I purchase a Ipad SIM pack I am accepting the T&C's that restrict it to IPAD IMEI, I am just questioning how they can offer this only to an Apple device and thus favour and give a consumer bias to Apple vs the competition.

Yes if you could please raise this issue with Telstra and post the reply from Tesltra here that would be appreciated.

Regards

DanK
Community Manager

I am certainly happy to pass on your feedback. I will definitely post any information that I receive back that I am able to share, however I cannot promise anything.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit