tl15
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Communication as Confusing as Ever

Answered

I was recently converted from the old mobile broadband to the new one. Received many messages about what I would get but no mention that I would lose the capability of having SMS. This was essential to me so I signed up for another 12 months only to find that SMS has been removed from the plan so I wasted $50. Had to go and pay another $30 for ordinary pre paid so I could get SMS back again. Any refund flatly refused in my local store. Communication is so poor in Telstra they may as well not even try.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Communication as Confusing as Ever

May I ask why you consider it “essential” to have SMS capability using a data SIM?.

And, how were you informed that “SMS has been removed from the plan”?.

The Critical Information Summary Link for the Upfront Mobile Data plans does state 

What's Not Included
This plan cannot be used:
  • To make calls, SMS or MMS

Link: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/mobile-broadband/mobile-broa...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Dowser
Accepted Solution

May I ask why you consider it “essential” to have SMS capability using a data SIM?.

And, how were you informed that “SMS has been removed from the plan”?.

The Critical Information Summary Link for the Upfront Mobile Data plans does state 

What's Not Included
This plan cannot be used:
  • To make calls, SMS or MMS

Link: https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/mobile-broadband/mobile-broa...

View solution in original post

tl15

I have had this plan for many years. I never used it for data. The SIM is in an alarm system and sends and receives text commands only. It was very good value because it only cost $50 per year and rolled over unused cost to the next year. Only needed to send a few commands per year. The new plan is suitable but it would have been nice to have the change in the old plan communicated better.

Dowser

You have made some valid and sensible comments.

You can provide feedback directly to Telstra using the webpage https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/positive-feedback

If you would like SMS capability included in those new plans, then include that (explaining why) in your feedback.

tl15

I accepted your previous explanation as I should have read the PDS. Doesn't everyone ! Smiley Happy

I should have added that I rang the number on the web site you provided (132200)  before going into my local Telstra shop hoping for more information but ended up talking to a very frustrating robot and the conversation while not going in circles certainly wasted a great deal of my time. Thankfully the staff at the shop sorted me out but not without a certain amount of confusion on their part as well.

While Telstra has now (in my opinion it was much better in the past - at least you could talk to a human even if they were in another country) the worst customer service in the business there are some companies who are outstanding. For instance TPG who provide my NBN are absolutely brilliant and SDS who provide my alarm systems are also outstanding so don't blame the virus or anything like that, start looking at your inner management to see what's going wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit