Oodlemeister
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Huawei E8372 Dongle won't allow outgoing Remote Desktop Connection

Answered

I have USB dongle that I use away from the office. I have Windows Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) set up to access my office PC when I'm away. If my laptop is running on Wifi or my phone's hotspot, the RDP works fine. But when I am connected via the USB dongle, it won't work. I get an error saying to make sure the remote computer is turned on and set up correctly etc.

Nothing has changed between using my Wifi or my phone. Both work flawlessly. THis leads me to believe that it is something in the dongle settings that needs to be configured. I tried disabling the dongle firewall, but that didn't help.

Can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Oodlemeister
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Huawei E8372 Dongle won't allow outgoing Remote Desktop Connection

You are absolutely right. I didn't think of that. I have now implemented a better solution:

The laptop connects to the internet via the dongle. Then it establishes a VPN connection to the user's office domain that I have set up. I have set up the user's Active Directory account to assign a static IP to the laptop's VPN connection, thereby putting it on the same subnet as the destination PC. I then unblocked this IP in ESET after the first connection failure. Now it seems to be working every time, regardless of the user's location.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Oodlemeister. 

You can see the instrucion manaul here https://tel.st/r425ma for that model. 

I would try resetting the dongle (see page 20 & 21) of the manual. 

If that doesn't work, you may need to get in touch with technical support directly via the My Telstra App, or use Telstra Platinum https://tel.st/tes7ss

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jayonaise
Support Team
Support Team

Were you able to reset the settings for your Dongle @Oodlemeister?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

I have one of those which I sometimes use for the same purpose. It works fine for me so it has to be a setting somewhere, perhaps even at your office end. Have a look at APN and IPv4/v6 settings maybe. 

One difference is that I now login remotely to my NAS in most cases but I used to RDP into a PC. I am not travelling as much now, so when I get the chance I will have a look at the Wingle and my home network.

What modem do you have at the office? Which APN do you use in the Wingle?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Oodlemeister

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated. I found the solution.

Turns out that the connection was being blocked by the destination PC's antivirus firewall, ESET Internet Security in this case. I didn't think to check it because I had previously configured the firewall to allow RDP connections through. However there is a further change required and that is to find the sending device's public IP and unblock in the ESET settings.

To do this, open ESET Internet Security and go to Setup > Network Protection and click on Recently Blocked Applications. Find the public IP address of the device/network and click "Unblock". Be very careful you choose the right connection to unblock, as this will allow traffic through from that device and if it is the incorrect one, it could leave you vulnerable to malicious attacks.

After I unblocked it, the connection worked perfectly. 

SteveW_52

Glad you found a reason/solution, and also for updating us all.

But, won't the 'sending device' (your Wingle?) use different public IP addresses depending on where it is?

My home/office network is set up with a static IP adress from Telstra - it makes remote access to anything a whole lot easier! But there is additional cost involved.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

You could still be vulnerable unblocking that port because when using the dongle to access your PC the public IPv4 address seen by the PC see is an IPv4 address used by a lot of different devices. The actual IPv4 address of the dongle is hidden behind CGNAT.

Oodlemeister
Accepted Solution

You are absolutely right. I didn't think of that. I have now implemented a better solution:

The laptop connects to the internet via the dongle. Then it establishes a VPN connection to the user's office domain that I have set up. I have set up the user's Active Directory account to assign a static IP to the laptop's VPN connection, thereby putting it on the same subnet as the destination PC. I then unblocked this IP in ESET after the first connection failure. Now it seems to be working every time, regardless of the user's location.

View solution in original post

Oodlemeister

You're right. I have since set up a VPN connection with a static IP so that the remote PC only accepts the connection from that internal static IP I have designated.

Thanks.

Veezy
Support Team
Support Team

Great to hear Oodlemeister! 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit