Faegard
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra MF985T and Laptop won't play nice

For the past year, I had been using a slightly older model prepaid 4G Mobile Hotspot for my internet; which, while a little slow in the evenings, had been getting the job done. It had three devices connected: My laptop, my Google Nest Mini, and my smart bulb (yeah just one, kinda sad, I know)

I recently got the MF985T 4GX modem, and put my existing SIM card in and set everything up. For the most part, it seems to be faster than the old modem. However, at random points throughout the day (especially in the evening it seems), my laptop randomly disconnects from the device entirely.

When I run the network troubleshooter, it reconnects, and will carry on until the next hiccup - averaging two to three disconnects a day, although can be as high as five or six. The troubleshooter seems to think it's low signal quality, despite the device and laptop sitting right next to each other. 

This ever happened on the older device. Does anyone know what it might be or how I might fix it? 

"See if you feel better in the morning" is the human equivalent of turning it off and on again

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra MF985T and Laptop won't play nice

One thing you could try is changing the WIFi channel in the MF985T 4GX modem. Settings > WiFi Settings > Advanced WiFi

Faegard

I spent the day testing because I didn't want to celebrate prematurely but I changed the channel from "Auto" to just one of the channels and I haven't had a drop-out since! Thank you so much!

"See if you feel better in the morning" is the human equivalent of turning it off and on again
Faegard

I take it back, after a day, it's started doing it again, even after a software update (which, I checked, did not undo the wifi channel setting) Smiley Sad

cf4

Did you select a fixed channel for both WiFi bands?

Faegard

Both? As in, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? (Still a little new to this) If so, I can only use the 2.4GHz band because my smart-stuff isn't that smart and won't function on the 5GHz (which was having the same issues anyway) 

cf4

Is the WiFi sleep function turned off (Settings > Device Settings > Power Slave > Sleep Time)?

Faegard

It is, yeah. That was one of the first things I went in and changed

(Also, I appreciate your continual persisting with this, thank you!)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit