Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to connect to 4G Using Telstra 4G modem.

Answered

I have recently purchased a mobile data sim from Telstra and set it up in my Telstra 4G modem. However, even though the Telstra mobile tower is less than 1/2 km away and in direct line of sight, I can only connect with 3G. I have been through all the settings and cannot see anything that would be causing the problem. My mobile phone connects to 4 G and both have very strong signal. I have connected to 4G using this modem with a previous sim in the past.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the issue and what I can do to fix it. 

Thanks for you help.

Rod

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to connect to 4G Using Telstra 4G modem.

What model is the Telstra 4G modem?

My first thought are errors in provisioning of the SIM or APN. On my Telstra 4G Wingle (E8372) the APN is telstra.internet and it works fine?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

What is the location of the tower that you are trying to connect to?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

What model is the Telstra 4G modem?

My first thought are errors in provisioning of the SIM or APN. On my Telstra 4G Wingle (E8372) the APN is telstra.internet and it works fine?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Highlighted

You could try swapping the SIM out of your phone with the one from the Modem. This might not work depending on provisioning, but worth a try to see if it is a SIM or Device issue.

Stevo 52
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

What is the location of the tower that you are trying to connect to?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Highlighted

Thanks for your thoughts Steve. The modem is Huawei E5372T repackaged as a Telstra 4G modem.

I have checked the APN and it is set to telstra.internet too.

I have also tried your idea of swapping the sim from my phone to the modem and no internet but it is still only connecting via 3G.

I am starting to think that maybe the modem is faulty.

Any other ideas that you may have appreciated.

Cheers Rod

Highlighted

It seems to be the modem is faulty. I don't have one of those modems that I can test - they are an older device now. That model may not work on the LTE band you can access at your location? You might be able to see what your local tower supports from this site: https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=505&MNC=1

Stevo 52
Highlighted

Thanks for your response Jupiter. The tower is in Berringama, Vic and has site ID 10020797. It is almost a brand new tower and according to my "Aus Phone Towers" app should have good 4G.

Cheers Rod

Highlighted

The EME report for that tower is a bit odd in that it shows very low power levels for that tower.

Other than that, the tower is operational and your problem is that the modem that you are using is quite old and came out before the 700MHz band was introduced. That means that the modem doesn't have an LTE radio capable of using the 700MHz LTE band that is used on that tower.

It supports the 1800MHz and 2600MHz LTE bands. The nearest transmitter that uses the 1800MHz LTE band is in Cudgewa next to the oval, so you could test your modem there.

Highlighted

Thanks for that Jupiter. I have just been doing some research into the capabilities of my modem and found out that it didn't support the 700MHz LTE band too. I am now pretty sure that you are on the money with your reply. I bought the modem back in 2013 so guess I have gotten pretty good value out of it and it might be time to upgrade.

Great to now know what the issue is. Thanks heaps for your time and expertise.

Cheers Rod

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit