Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Unexplained Higher than ever broadband usage (100gb in less than 24hrs)

This is NOT SPAM! I cancelled TPG because they were horrible (made a complaint against them with ACCC right before canceling) and last Thursday, the 25th, I walked into Telstra and signed a sim only mobile broadband business plan with 200gb data along with the purchase of a 5g mobile hotspot (for the sim to go in) and within 24hrs there was a spent of over 100gb in one night with two devices connected to it. I immediately Started trying to contacted Telstra, tried choosing different prompts to get to a human being but in all attempts I get the message saying my issue isn’t important enough for the pandemic status and sent me to the app/website chat (please see chat photos). Meanwhile I turned off all the automatic processes everywhere and turned off both devices over the second night and STILL, there was a 2gb usage with NO devices connected to it. Now they’re claiming they can’t even find my account number (please refer to chat attached)!!!

Regards,
Alice Gomes 
AliceG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Unexplained Higher than ever broadband usage (100gb in less than 24hrs)

AliceG
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

The correct place to lodge a complaint is with the Telecommunications Ombudsman (tio.com.au).

To send a message to Telstra, you need to use the messaging function in the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and someone should respond within a few hours.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter, thanks for that.

Will try that too... I got the 200gb package on Friday. Today I have my doctors appointment (reason why I got all this data in the first place, I had an injury last year, lost my job and have been struggling with disability) and I can’t make it to the clinic and the 200gb is long gone and since I posted here Telstra guy has refused to continue speaking to me and helping me figure out the issue claiming that because I escalated than he no longer could talk to me and Telstra would contact within 1-2 business day (yesterday being the 2nd one and no responde from them or whatsoever).

Yesterday and the day before it seemed the hotspot had stopped overusing the data but yesterday all of a sudden, it went from 150gb to mind blowing 242GB!!!!! I was like “whaaaaaa.....”

They also locked every single thread from hundreds of users talking about the issue and you can’t just go in and ask people how they resolved the problem. Many say they returned them the drained data... honestly, that’s my most humble wish but I’m missing a very important doctors appointment that was supposed to start in a few minutes... and that’s just the first one...

Obs. They never answered. I spoke to them on that chat (I originally posted the full print screen of the chat but they deleted it from here). That was the person who said they could no longer help me because I escalated. ALSO from the people on the chat “I can’t find your account number or you in our system”

AliceG
Highlighted

By the way: they sell you 200gb and they say once you pass your data allowance your capped at 1.5Mbps. Well, now that the allowance is gone the current data speed I’m in is 0.1Mbps (I couldn’t even answer this thread and now I Had to get extra data from Vodafone on my phone to at least do THIS ..... wordless.)

AliceG
Highlighted

Message threads get automatically locked on Crowdsupport after a certain period of no new responses as the original messages and solutions may be out of date. It is better if people start their own query, that way you get up to date answers.

I hope they figure out what is going on with your service quickly. The problems can be hard to track down.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I don’t think it’s right to lock answers. People have good sense. We always look at the date something was posted and regardless if it becomes outdated, problems in the future are always some variations of past problems and they’re all connected.

I’m now trying to cancel my doctors appointment.... and I think they’ll charge me either way. 

shame

AliceG
Highlighted

People don't have good sense. Message threads remained unlocked for years and people kept referring to the old answers and then complaining that they didn't work. It works a lot better with the Message Threads getting locked off and people having to start new threads.

Highlighted

Alice, just to let you know. I am going to get those photos deleted as you have just provided enough information for me to steal your identity.

Never post your personal details in a public forum. That's just asking for trouble.

Highlighted

Who are you and how can you delete my photos? I’m aware that my information is there but it’s useless. Address wise you can find on abn lookup as it’s my business. Regarding my phone number (same thing). Regarding my Telstra account, not even Telstra can find me on the system... if someone can... lucky them (and me because at least I can move forward with trying to resolve my issue)

AliceG
Highlighted

Address, phone number, Drivers licence, Bank, date of birth. More than enough to steal your identity. And breached the terms of service for Crowdsupport by posting those details as well.

I have moved that message to an area that is not accessible to the General Public as there was just too much information there to wait for the moderators to delete it.

Highlighted

Well, wish besides having the power to protect my privacy you could have the same power to help me resolve this... 😔

AliceG
Highlighted

Unfortunately not. I'm not a Telstra employee and don't have access to their systems (other than a couple of extra functions on this site).

It will require someone with access to the data records of your service to work out what has occurred.

What you can do is have a look a the wifi usage on the devices that had been connected to the 5G modem to see what usage there was during the period in question (you have to go a few hours either side of what the timeframe is as the reporting window can be off by a few hours), including which applications were using data. Take screenshots of each of them and also of the usage that the modem itself is reporting.

Then you can lodge a complaint using https://telstra.com/complaints and choose "Issues with my service" then "Mobile" and describe what the issue is.

It will take a while for someone to make contact (5 business days is normal in non-COVID times), but when they do, you should be able to send them the rest of your information (ie the screenshots and a more detailed description). Try to explain the problems in terms of a timeline (maybe use dot points) as it will help the Complaints Manager follow what has occurred.

If you have already complained to the TIO, then you will need to wait for them to respond as it changes the flow and timings of the complaints process.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit