DStocky
Level 2: Rookie

Using a 4G data SIM in a Technicolor DJA0230TLS

I have a 4G post-paid data SIM and am using it in a Telstra Technicolor NBN ready DJA0230TLS router. I am not happy with the download performance so have opened a case with support. They seem to not want to investigate this due to the router I am using. Is there anything wrong with using an NBN ready router with a post-paid data SIM?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Using a 4G data SIM in a Technicolor DJA0230TLS

No, the use of an active data SIM in the Telstra Smart modems is fine in my experience..  I do that quite a lot. The DJA0230TLS uses an external USB dongle from memory.

In the Smart Modem Gen 2's, there is a setting for Mobile Mode only, not sure if the DJA0239TLS has that, I will check. You can get Smart Modem 2 devices secondhand from places like Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace at low cost and sometimes still sealed in the box.

What is the issue with your download performance and how are you testing that? Have you tested via an ethernet port or are you using Wi-Fi? You need to check the performance over both - in case the modem Wi-Fi is the issue. Does the USB work okay in another device, compared to when plugged in to the modem?

I think your modem has external 4G antenna ports, so placement of the modem is impportant to get best 4G signal and an external antenna/s might help increase the signal level.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

There is nothing wrong with using a normal Telstra post paid SIM with the DJA0230 but is not supported by Telstra so you will not get any Technical support. In order to use the SIM the the profile on the mobile > configuration page has to be changed to telstra.internet. See last paragraph of section 25 of document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-DJA0230-manual-Unofficial...

I have found that the 4G speed on the Gen 1 smart modem with a normal data SIM is 70 Mbps down and about 30 Mbps up. The Gen 2 modem has a speed of about 110 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up.

DStocky
Level 2: Rookie

Steve, I have a case open with Telstra about issues with the tower that my directional antenna points at. Before the storms in June we got two bars of signal from this tower, on our phones, whereas now we get one bar and, at times, don't receive calls when we should. I called my wife's phone three times tonight, which was right next to me (I didn't know this at the time) and the calls all went to voicemail. The phone had one bar when I noticed it on the kitchen bench and obviously I had enough signal to make the call from my own phone. Other clients in the area have reported similar issues, especially when using ALDI SIMs. The DJA0230TLS has external ports, I have a Yagi antenna connected to it and pointed in the correct direction (I have visited the tower site and collected the GPS coordinates for it). We get a "fair" to "good" connection on the modem and Speedtest reports reasonable data rates however we regularly receive page loading errors on both wired and wireless clients. I can't even get the 7x24 chat to load on my phone, having to turn off WiFi if I want to chat to Telstra support. I actually think that there is a network issue at the tower. The signal level is a separate problem.

Jupiter

The ALDI services may not have the same access to the phone tower as Telstra services as ALDI does not have full access to the Telstra network (they use the Telstra Wholesale network only).

What is the location of the tower that you are connecting to?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit