Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Using ac320u telstra usb 4g modem with a router HELP

My issue: I want to switch mobile broadband from the terrible Vodafone, to the presumebly good Telstra.

I use it as my home connection, and my current 3g goes through my netgear DGN2200M router.

I need to know, as netgear cannot confirm this, if it will work on my current router or if not, if there are any known good routers it works with? / any work arounds.

Beyond that, with a 4g sim card, can you just throw it in a 3g modem and have it work? I care more about the service reliability than pure speed (I understand routers, but not sim using modems).

I would appreciate any help given as over the phone support who I have called several times only guess, answer questions I haven't asked or tell me I want their router which for some reason only supports 5 connections which is dumb.

Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Re: Using ac320u telstra usb 4g modem with a router HELP

Hey stefoske,

I would find it unlikely if your current modem supported the new 4G mobile cards/WiFi hotspot, not many modems out there have this capability yet since 4G is such a new technology, I think the BigPond ADSL WiFi modems have a USB port which will allow the BigPond and Telstra Mobile Broadband devices to be used as a 'fallback' when the ADSL service goes down, I do have a friend who is using the Premium ADSL modem (Technicolour), 48 bucks from memory with no ADSL service and the mobile broadband connecting and this allows him to share the connection between multiple devices via the ADSL modem.  I'm not however sure if they support the 4G devices yet or if this is still coming in a firmware update.

However should you purchase the 4G WiFi hotspot, the manufacturer Sierra Wireless sell this via a local distributor:

http://www.antennashop.com.au/sierra_wireless/index2.php?act=viewProd&productId=220&s=t&d=149

It basically allows and gives:

Secure Wi-Fi protected setup to up to 16 devices

Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n

2 USB Ports

4 Ethernet Ports (10/100Mbps)

Dimensions mm (H) 30  x  (L) 160  x  (W)105

Antenna Gain approx 2.5dBi

MIMO Antennas provide boost in signal strength & are removable for use with other higher gain antennas.

I'm sure there are other products out there that do the same/similar jobs, you'd have to do some further research to find a reputable one but those are the 2 ways I would recommend, I hope this helps!

Please note that I am an Telstra employee posting in my own time and on my own volition, my opinions and advice are my own and do not constitute the views, values or policies of Telstra.

If you like my answer please Kudos my post Smiley Happy
Highlighted

stefoske, did you have any joy finding a router the ac320u is compatable with?

After days of fighting with a ac320u and a brand new D-Link DWR-113 router I can confirm these two devices are NOT compatable.  

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi stefoske

Many Telstra stores sell the NetComm N150 3GM2WN. This works with the 320U.

http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/4g/3gm2wn

It has a single LAN port. I suspect you could run this into a larger router if needed, but just confirm on the Netcomm website if you need more than one LAN port.

I can confirm I even use one myself and it's a good solution. My house is not huge but I can comfortably get still receive my signal at the opposite end of the house, through several brick walls.

Cheers
Highlighted

i use mine in a tplink 3420 costs 39 at msy. works fine with latest firmware.
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

If you are techy an old tplink with whirlpool 4G firmware (mr 3420 v1, about $45 delivered)

Netcomm N150 as mentioned above $70

The new Tplink mr3420 (not sure if its for sale in AUS yet.

Probably the best and smallest and lost of whirlpool developer support is the TINY DOVADO which is arount $110 and loves the Telstra 320u.

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Do you have this running at full 4G speeds or is it capped at 25MBps? Is this Version 1...at that price? Or are u running open-wrt direct ip firmware on it?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit