Level 1: Cadet

when is webmail being fixed?

Mine's been down for a couple of weeks. I see some people have had this issue since August.

I cannot use the workarounds as they require me to sign in to my Microsoft account for Windows 8.1 Mail but this requires Microsoft to send me an email resetting my password, and since I cannot get into telstra webmail ... and the cycle continues. I don't have any other devices I can access email on.

Telstra say this problem is only happening at busy periods - so is 8am on a Sunday morning a busy time? Because I still couldn't get in then.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 21: Augmented

Re: when is webmail being fixed?

Do you have Outlook (Office, 365 etc.) or another client like thunderbird or Mailspring (Not Windows Mail )? You could also setup a Gmail or other portable account and use that for any setup emails and it might come in handy later.

A different client would allow you set up the Telstra/Bigpond email account on them, and just use your existing email address and password. You could install that on either or both of a PC or mobile device.

If you do set up the account on another email client, make sure to set a long timeout for email receive to reduce errors from the Telstra/Bigpond mail issue.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Hi no I don't have Outlook or anything. I just tried setting up a Gmail and did so, but when I tried to import my bigpond webmail I ended up with Authentication error and they say unable to connect to your old email account. they say this is probably because I have it open already?? which I do not as I can't access it. Thanks for trying to help.

Could Telstra just please, please fix this, I'll end up missing bills and other important emails. I'm not a technical/communications expert, but they supposedly are, and apparently this problem has existed since August. Very slack. This is so upsetting. What am I paying for?

What device did you set GMail up on? I had no trouble adding my bigpond account to GMail on my Pixels - but I did it manually and opted for the IMAP version. i find the manual setup up allows a bit more control when adding an account.

Was/is you webmail open already on another device?

For a free email client for a PC, Mailspring is not too bad and I setup some friends PC's with it not too long ago, using their bigpond accounts.

Yes, Telstra does need to fix the issue but even if they do, my experience is that relying on Webmail isn't a good long term plan - it is always better to use an email client and/or multiple accounts and keep the emails off the server on a local device that you can back up and copy for safety.

By the way, like many here, I am a customer just like you - using my experience to assist others... Smiley Happy

Telstra people here will have a Telstra logo next to their name..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Support Team
Support Team

Hi whytservicesux, while the large majority of affected email services have been restored we're still working on the mail server issue for the remaining customers who are still having access problems. As SteveW_52 has advised, you should still be able to retrieve the emails via a GMail account which a few customers have advised me has worked for them, The guide at https://tel.st/uplzh advises how you can update the Gmail settings for this to be done with the necessary setup details at https://tel.st/agvud.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Except that using an external email client, if you can get it to work, still doesn't solve the problem. Without webmail access, I'm unable to see my junk mail folder on the Telstra server, which often contains valid emails that the Telstra server has incorrectly decided are junk. I've tried in the past to turn this junk mail filtering off, without success. Now, without webmail access, I can't even see those messages and move them from the junk mail folder to the inbox so my external email client can download them.

Tried calling Telstra, whose customer service is now so bad that you don't even have the option to stay on hold waiting for a human.

Which email client are you using? and have you set the BigPond account up as POP3 or IMAP?

If you use IMAP, you can download the folder list manually and all the  folder/file content.

Also make sure you set the Receive timeout higher than the default 1 minute, that way you will get less error messages and with more time to connect, probably more email downloaded.

Stevo 52

Hi Stevo, I'm on HCL (Lotus) Notes, latest version, using POP3 so my email is all stored locally (hence not using IMAP). I'll give some thought to switching briefly to IMAP to see if the junk folder comes across, but can't stay permanently with IMAP, unfortunately.

Timeout is not a problem, as download speed is fine.

Thanks, POTU

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Timeout has nothing to do with download speed. It has to do with the amount of time that it takes the server to respond to requests. The faulty server is taking a long time, so you may find that it works more reliably if you increase the timeout value to 5 minutes as this gives the server more of a chance to figure out what it's doing.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit