Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

10 Business Day cooling off on BYO contracts?

Answered

So long story short: I got a Casual Plan 2 weeks ago to simply test reception at home (the sales consultant convinced me this is better than getting a $30 prepaid sim). Reception good, I see online the BYO monthly $50 plan is discounted to $40 with 2.5GB bonus data - but I have to cancel the Casual Plan first. 

Head back to store, cancel the plan and telling the consultant what exactly I'm interested in (50 down to 40plan), he says "no worries we'll just sign you up now". 

Fast forward a week, I get my first bill - $10 discount does not apply because I "signed up in store and not online".

Pretty unhappy as my expectation was to be paying $40. To Top it off, in the past week the bonus data went up as well from 2.5GB to now sitting at 4.5GB - so I simply don't feel I get value of paying $50 for less data. And thus really regretting moving from Optus.

Is there cooling off period or will I be stuck paying the gigantic cancellation fee?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: 10 Business Day cooling off on BYO contracts?

Hello,

In addition to the excellent advice you havealready been given, you might consider speaking to the Disconnection (Saves Team) based in Adelaide. Ring 132200 and say "Disconnection" in business hours

If you ring in business hours you will be routed to Adelaide.

They have more flexibility than most other teams and will surely find a solution, as they are very "can do"

Thank you

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The ACL cooling off period does not apply to any inbound or customer initiated sales... the cooling off period only applies to sales where it was initiated by the Telco (as in where they contact you and offer you the service, rather than in store where you go in and request a service)

That being said, if you were told in store that you would only pay $40 then it is worth contacting the billing team and requesting them honouring what you were offered, if they are unwilling to assist, your next step would be to lodge a complaint... With the complaints team you could request since they are not honouring that you were offered that you wish to be let out of the contract... but it would be a matter of discussing it with them.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Hello,

In addition to the excellent advice you havealready been given, you might consider speaking to the Disconnection (Saves Team) based in Adelaide. Ring 132200 and say "Disconnection" in business hours

If you ring in business hours you will be routed to Adelaide.

They have more flexibility than most other teams and will surely find a solution, as they are very "can do"

Thank you

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Professor Phone - THANKS!

Did as you mentioned, spoke to Luke from the Disconnections Team in Adelaide - he applied the $10 discount to my account and organised a credit on my current bill - all done in 5 minutes. Excellent service

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit