marcoholdorf
Level 2: Rookie

$199 Ultimate 5G

Hello,

I am on the $199 Ultimate plan and just purchased a 5G ( Pixel 5 ) phone.

To make sure I am not too far away I went to a 5G tower in my area, still 5G does not work for me and I am only on 4G.

Telstra support is telling me that my plan does not include 5G but on my account I can see it is.

Any suggestions what I can do now?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: $199 Ultimate 5G

To be honest, I didn't think that those old plans included 5G access. It could be an error in the app that is saying that you do have access.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
marcoholdorf
Level 2: Rookie

Well the plan was sold to me on the basis that 5G is included and because it's saying on my account it is included I would assume it should be included. The plan is from 2019, not really heaps old. 

I am starting to get frustrated because I even checked with a person in the Telstra shop if I have 5G when I buy the new mobile. They confirmed and therefore I bought the new phone.

Now staff in the shop as well as support online telling me they can't help me. Kinda running in circles as they always say you have to do this online and vice versa, that I have to go to a shop. Its like they all don't care and don't even know their own products and systems.

Wish someone would just take ownership and solve it instead of sending me somewhere else. Smiley Sad

Devilinahq
Level 1: Cadet

Sorry to tell you, this plan predates 5G and never had it in its inclusions

https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/mobile/mobile-plans/ultimate...

Your plan is for a post-paid mobile phone service that provides access to the Telstra Mobile Network. You can't share the mobile data with other services on your account. Telstra will be switching off 3G in 2024. After switch off you will still be able to access the Telstra Mobile Network provided your device is 4G voice enabled and 4G 700MHz compatible

Most of Telstra 5G towers are working at 3.6 GHz 

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/consumer-advice/pdf/telstra-5G-fact-sheet.pdf

Jupiter

The plan definitely predates the introduction of 5G as at the time of the commencement of the 5G rollout, Telstra had already gotten rid of Unlimited plans for mobiles. It still sounds like a coding error on the website that is showing your service as having 5G available. One of the main reasons for getting rid of the unlimited data on mobile plans was for the preparation of the 5G rollout (it would cost Telstra a fortune if everyone was able to have unlimited data on a 5G connection - the amount of data you can go through is astronomical).

If the person in the Telstra Shop told you that you had 5G available as part of your plan and you bought a phone on that basis, then you would have grounds to be able to return the phone. They can't change the inclusions on the plan.

To get it sorted out, you are most likely going to have to lodge a complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jupiter

That information only outlines the minimum requirement to have an operational mobile service after the 3G shutdown. It has nothing to do with what your service is capable of using (4G services use more than just the 4G 700MHz band, it is just the minimum requirement for a handset on the Telstra network as all towers will use this band in conjunction with others).

T-man
Level 9: Captain

Telstra only offers 5G to certain plans.  at the moment

In the past, it was an optional add-on for $10 to certain other plans.  Unfortunately the $199 plan was not one of those as it predated 5G.

You are right though, if the OP has been sold a phone based on the fact that he  could access 5G , then he entitled to return it and get a refund.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit