LGT54
Level 2: Rookie

$45 Extra Small Concession

This morning I visited my local Telstra shop to move my prepaid phone and my wife's $55 post-paid phone both over to the new Up Front plans.

My wife has had PD since 2003 and has severe mobility issues. She requires an Apple Watch for detection of falls. Only available on Post Paid/Up Front.

My wife's $55 plan currently attracts a $10 discount (not sure why and when it will end). She uses probably no more than a Gb of data of the 40Gb allowance. She makes probably no more than 20 phone calls per month.  So for $55, shes not getting much value AT ALL!!! 

The Telstra shop could NOT tell me if the current $10 discount would continue to apply.

Given that all new Up Front plans share data, I was going to sign up my currently pre-paid phone to an Extra Small Up Front plan and make use of the concession offer described here.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/telstra-30-month-concession-value-mobile-offer#eligible

The Telstra Shop senior staff were unable to confirm this either.

Frankly I wasted 1/2hour trying to get the information and walked out achieving absolutely nothing.

Please comment!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: $45 Extra Small Concession

Assuming that she is eligible, she could sign up for the Extra Small Up Front plan for $30/m and elect to add One Number for an extra $5/m (for the Apple Watch)

Total = $35/m

(which is $10/m cheaper than her current $45/m spend)

LGT54

She is NOT the Carer. I am!

Carers are eligible to receive the $15 concession. See the link I posted.

Dowser

@LGT54 wrote:

She is NOT the Carer. I am!

Carers are eligible to receive the $15 concession. See the link I posted.

This is your first mention of you being a carer.

If you are eligible too then you can both sign up for the aforementioned plan.

LGT54

From the link, this is the list of those eligible.

ABSTUDY living allowance, Austudy, Carer Allowance, Carer Payment, Family Tax Benefit Part A, Farm Household Allowance, JobSeeker Payment, Parenting Payment (Partnered) (age 60 and over), Mobility Allowance, Partner Allowance (age 60 and over), Sickness Allowance (age 60 and over), Special Benefit (age 60 and over), Widow Allowance (age 60 and over), Youth Allowance (with either a partial capacity to work of between 15-29 hours per week or who are a single principal carer) 

My wife is NOT on the list. I am, as her Carer!!!

It is Bizarre, her NOT being on the list, but I didn't write the list.

Dowser

You could discuss her eligibility with the Telstra  Disability Enquiry Hotline:

LGT54

So in summary I wanted to move to these plans.

Up Front Small plus retain my current $10 discount which Telstra have offered.

https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/mobile/mobile-plans/telstra-...

Up Front Extra Small  plus claim $15 Carers Concession, to which I am entitled.

https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/mobile/mobile-plans/telstra-...

Your advice is simply missing the point!!!

Dowser

You could have stated exactly what you wanted in your first post.

You have sufficient information for you to progress your applications.

LGT54

Could someone please tell me if the concessions outlined in this link are available to suitably qualified individuals who are taking out the NEW EXTRA SMALL UpFront plan.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/telstra-30-month-concession-value-mobile-offer#eligible

Thanks 

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The $30 offer is not an Upfront plan, so there is no data sharing (it is the Extra Small Telstra Mobile Plan). So only 2GB data allowance. Note: you cannot have an MRO or ARO on this plan with the discount (so no new phone or watch - you'd need to buy them outright).

If you have a Healthcare Card with Carer's allowance (or any of the other concessionson the list), then you would be eligible for the $30 offer. If your wife has the Mobility Allowance, then she would be eligible too.

As far as the existing $10 discount goes, most discounts expire when changing plans. Only a Telstra consultant could tell you if it is a persistent discount or not.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit