Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: AirG VIP Chat on my mobile - what are they?

No worries Anthony, just glad to read it has been sorted. Thanks for letting me know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Canuck22
Level 1: Cadet

Okay so ive noticed these AirG Chat charges on my last two bills at least....6.65 per week....Ive no idea what they are for exactly and I can only assume they were mistakenly subscribed to by one of my children.

So what have I done?  Contacted Telstra via online chat support, was advised to unsubscribe to Premium SMS charges as they are 3rd party service providers.  So I did this, was advised that my number had been unsubscribed, this was some time mid April 2016.

So this months bill has new charges on them...AirG Chat again, same charges, 6.65 per week....I have now after reading these threads contacted airg.support.com via email and been advised the following

Thank you for all the information. We will unsubscribe your mobile number on our system as soon as possible and all future charges will be completely removed.

Cheers,

Caelly C.
airG Customer Support
Share Your World!
airG FAQs - http://support.airg.com/

ref:_00D80Zk7H._500C010ii0D:ref

Now i guess its a waiting game to see if next month the charges actually disappear from my bill.

I agree with most of the people on here that this is crazy scamming at a high level...even if you have accidentally subscribed to a service, you should at the minimum have an email or some kind of acknowledgement to advise of this action.  We put lots of faith into our service providers and to be taken for granted hurts...and quite frankly if telstra condone this type of behaviour (even if 3rd party) they need to address their business ethos.

In faith.

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Canuck22,

If you have processed the same unsubscribe action as is published at 19sms.com.au for the 3rd Party you refer to, and have received a confirmation that the unsubscription action has been performed, you should be ok. Having said that, any charges that had not landed on your monthly account before the unsubcription action was performed will appear on your next bill, and will need to be followed up with our billing team, either here:  http://tel.st/49kl or on 132200.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Canuck22

Hey Big_Dan

thankyou, but I feel the main cause of my grief is the AirG VIP charges not so much the 19 SMS.  So I'm really putting faith the the fact my response from the AirG guys will action a STOP and cease the charges going forward.

I've also asked for more detail on exactly what the service is that i've been paying for.  

I realise Telstra are 3rd party, but given the charges appear on our telstra account, there needs to be some recourse.  I'll happily pay for something i've subscribed to, but i am at a loss to know what this is for the time being.

Ive also submitted another Premium SMS Barring notice for my mobile number.  Can you adivse does this actually prevent AirG subscription ability?  

Regards

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No worries canuck22, it is what we're here for afterall. From my experience, the Premium Service barring will prevent new subscriptions being taken out, but will not cancel or unsubscribe existing subscriptions when it is applied, so you will still need to 

From what I can tell on the AirG website (http://corp.airg.com/) it appears to be an instant messaging or chat service.

I referenced the 19sms.com.au not to do anything but reassure you that the if the method you followed matched the method published there you would have successfully unsubscribed.) 

no_choice

First time post.

Just reading posts about airG VIP Chat charges of others while actually talking to Telstra. Amazing! This is the third month I've had to call Telstra about charges on our monthly bills for one of our mobiles (latest bill 13th May - 12th June). Same routine...we're not interested in this service...we did'nt activate this service...we don't want this service...and we are definately not going to pay for this service!

Had some success with the second months call. Received a credit on our latest bill for 9 weeks worth...$59.85. But....there's always a but with Telstra, it appears the blocking worked, sort of. There was one more charge of $6.65 for the 12th May, then no more charges. Hence the third call. I was given the same spiel each time. That I was the one that had to cancel the airG VIP subscription.

Wrong Telstra!

These charges appear on your customers bills because of Telstra's dealings with a dodgy third party. It's up to Telstra to get rid of this service that was not activated... not wanted...and should not be payed for by Telstra customers!

Call 13 22 00. Follow the prompts to bill enquiry. Don't accept the scripted speil. Just say no, no, no and demand that THEY block this scam and that THEY credit the money that is being scammed from you through your account wih THEM!

Threaten with the TIO if need be, whatever it takes. 

Just don't accept this crap!

I'm like many other rural customers. I have to accept Telstra's service only because I don't have any real choice!

scrypton
Level 2: Rookie

This has not been resolved. I was one of their latest victims, being subscribed to this service without my knowledge.

I have been having $0 in my Telstra prepaid account so it is impossible for me to have subscribed to this service.

I had to call the AirG customer service (and it seems that they are based in the Phillipines) and they said that the only two options that I might have been subscribed are:

- That I click a link to the page and agree with the Terms & Conditions.

- Subscribing it directly from an app.

Both of which I did not do, and no one has ever had access to my phone.

I will definitely be escalating this to the relevant government arms. This is a spam for the least, or worse, a fraud, and both offenses are punishable by law.

I am surprise as to why Telstra has not terminated their agreement with AirG. This makes them look like they are a co-perpetrator in this thing.

And Telstra should pay me compensation for making me jump through hoops for this.

Brian_04

I've just discovered this fee (AirG) on my mobile plan and it goes back to Nov 2015. I actually rang the service and got them to stop the service. I told them that I didn’t sign up to the service in question and wanted to understand how this happened. They weren’t event concerned, and all they would say is that we will cancel the subscription – it’s a money making cam and Telstra needs to distance itself from this kind of service.

My issue relates to - how many of us are being caught off guard like this and the amount of money that this service is collecting. Its time that Telstra did something about it. I've become extremely unhappy with the quality of service Telstra provides these days. I've decided to boycott Telstra and have formally complained to the Ombudsman’s Office about a range of other things. I have also written to my local Federal Member - its time for all of us to speak out and get them to step up and address these issues.

B

Renee
Level 21: Augmented

Hi Brian_04,

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out. It is certainly disappointing to hear that there are a number of issues, including AirG chat, that you are currently in dispute with.

Firstly, we do have information on how to Unsubscribe from AirG Chat Services.

Secondly, given that you are looking to escalate to third parties and beyond, can I ask if you have lodged a formal complaint within Telstra as of yet?

Iris7

@Renee wrote:

Hi Brian_04,

Secondly, given that you are looking to escalate to third parties and beyond, can I ask if you have lodged a formal complaint within Telstra as of yet?

Today i found out that my phone was charged 0.95c since 31 Jan till it ran out of credit. When i contacted Telstra they said i had subscribed to Divas Chat which I know I didn't.

I have since called the toll free number to unsubscribe however I'd like to send through a formal complaint to Telstra.

How do i do that?

Georgie
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Iris7,

I am terribly sorry this has been the case. You can find ways to lodge a formal complaint here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...

Let me know how you go. 

-Georgie

Michaelli

I first noticed I was subscribed to AirG divas chat at the end of Mar 2017 which I had absolutely NOT done by myself.

I called Telstra and they asked me to call AirG to unsubscribe and do the refund.

AirG told me they couldn't do the refund but they could only unsubscribe me from their service. After some negotiation, Telstra did a refund of $17 for the charges for 21 Mar 17- 31 Mar 17.

On 4 Apr 17, I found I was subscribed to AirG Gamer Chat again. I called AirG to unsubscribed and blacklist my number. But again, AirG (Staff: Steve) said they have agreement that only Telstra can do the refund.

I call Telstra and they said they couldn't give me refund and they couldn't tell me the reason why I was subscribed to this service. I have asked Telstra to bar the premiem SMS service on 4 Apr 2017. But I still got charged on 5 Apr 2017.

I then lodged a complaint to TIO just now and post here too. Shame on you Telstra that you couldn't solve this problem for many years.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit