brisdaz
Level 4: Private Eye

Allow use of Proof of Age Card to purchase mobile services

Hi

In https://onlineshop.telstra.com.au/prepaid-mobile/checkout/buy/30-dollar-pre-paid-tri-sim-starter-kit

Here's what you'll need to complete your order

Be at least 18 years old
    Have a valid credit card
    Have one of these accepted forms of ID
        an Australian driver's licence
        a passport
        a blind citizen card

at least for Queensland the driver's licence number is the same as the Proof of Age  card number - they're both QLD Transport reference numbers. So it should be possible to check identity using the Proof of Age card.

Checking NSW they seem to have this option as well.

All cards mentioned above are Photo ID cards.

Please advertise this fact.

Thanks

Brisdaz

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
xthestreams
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Allow use of Proof of Age Card to purchase mobile services

I had the same issue with ordering from the store. Tried my NSW Photo Card, the order went through but the activation failed. Long story, but after a few hours on the 24x7 chat I still got the online deal but had to go into a store with my ID. You mileage may vary as the guy at my local shop was very helpful.

I've complained to Telstra about the discrimination from not accepting a Photo Card. Awaiting a response.

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Folks,

You can go in store and present them with 100 points of ID to be accepted for an account.  https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/acceptable-forms-of-ident...

Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

brisdaz

Thanks for the reply Angela.

Unfortunately this is both inconvenient and the specials are available only online as well. Also check Cashrewards an online only third party rebate.

Half price offer is available online only

brisdaz

Thanks Telstra for giving the discounts to supermarkets so that those without driver's licence can purchase it cheaply.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit