chuandt
Level 1: Cadet

Apple Music using data allowance

My new prepaid service is showing data usage from Apple Music streaming - I’ve been with Telstra on a few occasions previously and this has never happened 

Is anyone able to help please?

it used more than 5gig from my plan today before I realised what was happening 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Apple Music using data allowance

On the page that details Apple Music on the Telstra Network, it points out that your data allocation should be unaffected by streaming Apple Music:

Stream Apple Music data-free on Australia's best mobile network

Music streaming is not counted towards your data charge.

• Includes post-paid, pre-paid and mobile broadband customers

Although, it also makes the following point:

Data-free on Telstra Mobile Network

Non-Apple radio stations and non-music streaming use such as downloads, video streaming and social interaction will attract data charges.

Assuming that you met that exclusion, it appears that you will have to contact Telstra Support and report the faulty inclusion of the data.

chuandt
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the info. 
I’ve spoken with 2 separate agents so far, the first couldn’t understand the issue at all (kept trying to offer free data top-ups for my non-existent home broadband). 
The second just gave me the same information as we have here already & then asked if there was anything else I needed help with. I tried explaining the issue again but they then provided details on how to download the Apple Music app.

Frustrating to say the least but will try again with another agent.

Dowser

If you have no success with that agent, you could lodge a complaint with Telstra.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

@Dowser looks like that page might need to be updated. Data-Free Apple Music is not mentioned on the PrePaid plans page any more, it's only on the PostPaid plans page.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit