Paige08
Level 2: Rookie

Apple SE watch digital sim for child

I’ve just bought my 9 year old son an Apple SE watch but I’m not able to pair it to my phone so he can use it via the Apple Family Sharing? It seems it needs its own sim? How do I do this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Apple SE watch digital sim for child

You would need to take out a plan through a company called Truphone as Telstra One Number cannot accomplish what you need.

see https://www.truphone.com/au/consumer/esim-for-watch/

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Paige08

Ok I went to a Telstra shop and they told me I need to pair it to a different phone and sim other than my own otherwise my 9 year old will receive all my messages/calls etc.  I have an old iPhone 7 but need to get a sim for it. Does anyone know if you can go into a Telstra shop and just get a SIM card on a reasonable plan for a watch for a child? All I can see online start at $50 a month which is too pricey.

Jupiter

The Truphone service gets its own service. Don't waste money on what you don't need. Visit the link that I posted before and read up on it.

You wouldn't be able to get a SIM that is compatible with Telstra at the moment anyway. The current plans are not compatible with One Number yet. The store should have told you that.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Paige08

I appreciate your response. I am so confused as to what I need to do still? I bought the Apple SE watch and thought I could just pair it to the Family Setup but I can’t because I need a GPS Cellular Series 4 watch.  I was under the impression that I have to use a separate phone with a sim to pair it to the watch (which defeats the purpose of a watch for a child who I think is too young for a phone), I’ve checked out the link to Truphone you attached but being technically challenged I don’t know how to make this watch work? So I need a separate phone or not??

Jupiter

No. You don't need a separate phone. According to Apple the Watch SE is compatible with Family Sharing.

Instructions for how to set it up for use with Truphone can be found at How to connect Apple Watch Family Setup using Truphone | Truphone

Paige08

I’ve looked at the link and Truphone says the SE watch isn’t compatible and I found when I tried to pair it on family set up it says I need a series 4 GPS cellular?

Jupiter

You need a Series 4 or newer (the SE was released with the Series 6). You get a 7 day free trial, so give it a go and if it doesn't work then you haven't lost anything (just remember to cancel the trial).

Paige08

And that’s my problem, the watch I have is an SE.  From what I can gather It seems as though I can’t use the family setup with the SE so I’ll have to get a sim to go in an old phone so I can pair the watch to it. Thanks for your help.

Jupiter

Apple says you can use it with Family Setup and it seems to satisfy the Truphone requirements (it is new enough - ie it's newer than a Series 4)

Paige08

I know apple says you can set it up with an SE but when you go to pair it is says I need a newer watch?

Jupiter

I'd be contacting Apple about that. It contradicts their publicly available information.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit