CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Best for my mum

Hi there anyone...

I want to find a better way for my mum to be on the internet and an iphone..

At the moment she is paying pre-paid for both which as you know is fairly expensive way to go..

Ok she has no land line.

She has an iphone 4S which at the moment has to have the DATA turned off permenantly so it doesn't chew through data in 5 mins (no joke) which eats her credit extremely fast. She can't even receive photos this way...

She also pays prepaid internet on an telstra dongle $180 at a time..

Can anyone suggest a better way to go??

We all need to help look after the elderly in our community..

Telstra should have a good pensioner plan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Best for my mum

Hi Sneeki,

Firstly, I'd suggest someone looking at her settings on the mobile phone to stop it using so much data.

I personally, would take it to a Telstra store.

It also sounds like your mum isn't on the Prepaid Freedom Plus offer. Some Prepaid offers have no included data and a charge rate of 10cents per mb or $2 per mb which come out of her recharge credit.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates

If she changed her offer to the Freedom Plus, she'd have more included data per month and any unused credits rollover for another 28 days if recharged before expiry date.

A $50 recharge would give your mum a total of 8GB for 28 days

Regarding the Prepaid Internet, it also sounds like she's on an old offer.

she could change to the Data Pass offer.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/mobile-broadband/prepaid

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Highlighted

Hi Sneeki,

I forgot to say that your mum could use her mobile phone as a Hotspot to her other devices if she changed to the Freedom Plus offer which has more data. 

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Highlighted

Hi there Smiley3,

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it.

I know that it would confuse my mum too much to use her phone as a hot spot so I don't feel like that is the way to go for her but maybe try a newer deal...

I was wondering if there would be one that she could use both her iPhone and her iPad with....

Will definitely have to look a lot deeper into these things

Thanks heaps for your suggestions

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Sneeki

Regrettably, prepaid offers don't data share, so you can't use a pooled data allowance between 2 services.

The only way that this would be possible would be as suggested and using the iPhone as a hotspot.

I would also agree with looking at the current offers for prepaid as the newer offers do provide a lot more data.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi @Sneeki,

As Delta Squad metioned, you can't data share on a Prepaid Plan.

Another option (which would not have as much data per month as the prepaid plan for the monthly charge) is for your mum to go on a BYO Pnone Plan and add a Data Share Sim.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/plans-and-rates

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/plans-and-rates/share-your-data#

For example, the Small Plan on the BYO Phone Plan is

$35 per month

500mb data

$300 included for calls

unlimited sms,mms

Then add a Data Share sim only at $5 per month to go into her IPad (if it takes a sim card)

A Sim +1GB to share is $15 per month.

Highlighted

A pretty good rule of thumb across the board, when making descisions regarding Telstra Plans, upgrades and the like, is to NEVER ever ever upgrade. I know, I know, they are really good at their job - the marketing ppl are - funny that Smiley Wink - and very convincing that whatever NEW offer they are offering, does indeed have something to . . offer! 9/10 it does not. This will likely go missing (past data) and I know the thread is old, but I was reading it today, so I figured I'd leave this here just in case. So another tip, when they bring n a hot new offer (take benefits away and give you less, somehow convincingly!) they will usually pressure you, so that if all the rest didn't work, you'll feel that the plan (with it's superior savings - some say toooo good it would appear!) you are on is just o bad you'd be a moron to be on it, so telsra in our best interest will end support for said plan, af if it is outdated and was a terrible mistake, we customers deserve btte! I apologise, I rat here, apparently this has been building in me some time: my anger about the tricksy sneaksy hobbittses./.telstra pull over some of the most loyal cusomers in the country for anything, ever! It's shady.. And this makes me sad, but mostly mad. P.S: my ex used to do surveys for a job, lots of them were for telstra, and the overwhelming result, consistently, was tht ppl really felt screwed by telstra as a whole. They were paing for this data, and were getting it, yet still no progress. I don't know what they *were* getting outta the vox pops, but suffice to say we're gonna have to pool together, get a whole lt firmer, louder, insistent, and self educated about what we want/expect in return for our solid (massive) combined income! We have to be prepared to bring (australian) competiotion f they fail to comply, and we have to walk the walk, but there is certainly more than  a possibility that we can have and live in a Australia w/goods + services to reflect and truly comply with our simplest and agreeable positive foundations. Maybe we need to talk about what tose actually are, first.... / end . rant. thank ou if you got this far for listening.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit