lostit
Level 1: Cadet

Call usage notification

I have been forced to change my mobile phone carrier to Telstra Smiley Sad Optus allows its customers to set up an SMS service (for free) that alerts them when their mobile phone limit is close to being reached.  In fact, you can set it for different limits giving you plenty of notice.  I believe this was required by law of all Australian telcos.

Can someone please tell me how I set this up with Telstra.  I have searched the website over and over and have tried to contact Live Chat (but nobody ever seems to be manning Live Chat and calling Telstra would take the rest of my day).  It's a simple request that has now taken over an hour of my time to get to this site so I can ask other users.

I have a Nokia 6300 if that helps to get the instructions and have a postpaid account.  I saw somewhere in this forum to punch in #100# but that just gave me a list of services, none of which were relevant.

thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
JCKH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Call usage notification

Hi there,

We do have a call usage notification service available now, it has been in successful implementation for just over a month or so now.  If you would like me to get the sms notification set up for you please feel free to PM me your details. Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
lostit

Thank you for the quick reply Josh.  Pls advise how I PM you - I cannot see that option anywhere.

JCKH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Just PM'd, will wait to hear from you Smiley Happy

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
rmcadam2

hi Josh, can you advise - been on the phone with tech support / billing etc with no luck

lostit

rmcadam2, you won't receive a reply because Telstra apparently no longer offers this service - or maybe they do, just depends on the day of the week.

I contacted Telstra last month when I exceeded my call quota (a paltry $550 compared to $750 on Optus) and got hit with a big extra charge.  I explained that I had requested that I be set up to receive alerts when I had used 80% of my $550 ($440) and the accounts clerk checked my account and agreed that I had indeed set it up but it wasn't working so she happily credited the overcharge.

Move on to this month - oh no, not again... yes, another extra usage charge.  I call Telstra again (I'm a small business owner and would love to charge Telstra for the time I waste calling them every month - out of 6 invoices, only 1 has been correct) and am told by a very officious accounts clerk that this service is no longer available and hasn't been since late last year.  She assured me that the girl I spoke to last month would be reprimanded.  I demanded a credit and finally received it.  She finished the call by confirming to me that this service is NOT available and if I want to monitor my call usage I would have to call Telstra a few times each month and ask what it is up to. (You've got to be kidding!)

But wait, this is the best part.  During my call to Telstra I received a text message - FROM Telstra advising me that I had reached 96% of my call usage for this month!!!!!!  This arrived at exactly the same time I was being told by a Telstra clerk that the service no longer existed. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Funny or not, I still lose because I now have 12 days to go this month and I have only just been advised that I have only $22 credit left, not the $110 I would have if their system was working correctly and had given me the notice that I had reached 80% as originally requested.  So I can only text for the next 2 weeks (not very professional for a business owner) as I will do my absolute darndest not to pay Telstra an extra cent than I have to considering how much they owe me in wasted time.

So give it a go rmcadam2, call Telstra and ask if the service is available - as at 2pm 10 May 2012 it works (sort of).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit