Level 2: Rookie

Can I cancel a JBHiFi deal/contract (12 month) that I signed up for yesterday?

Hi I was wondering if I can cancel a contract I have had for 24hrs without a huge fee? It is the current JBHi Fi deal with a $500 gift card (which I would return) $69.00 12 month. I misunderstood the deal thinking if I gave them the gift card  then $69/month would also be paying off the rest of the phone-oh oh.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Can I cancel a JBHiFi deal/contract (12 month) that I signed up for yesterday?

@SilberFuch wrote:

Hi I was wondering if I can cancel a contract I have had for 24hrs without a huge fee? It is the current JBHi Fi deal with a $500 gift card (which I would return) $69.00 12 month. I misunderstood the deal thinking if I gave them the gift card  then $69/month would also be paying off the rest of the phone-oh oh.

Hi @SilberFuch 

You would need to contact JBHiFi.

https://support.jbhifi.com.au/hc/en-au/articles/360052940194-JB-Direct-terms-of-sale 

4.8 Please check your Order and Selected Delivery Option carefully (including the quantities ordered) before submitting it as Orders may not be able to be changed or cancelled once the Order has been accepted by JB Hi-Fi. JB Hi-Fi will use reasonable endeavours to cancel or change the Order if it has not already been shipped but makes no representation that it will be able to do this.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Re: Can I cancel a JBHiFi deal/contract (12 month) that I signed up for yesterday?

Thanks Ozmos,

Awesome response time here huh! 

JB HiFi told me to contact Telstra...sigh. Is there any way to escalate this at Telstra, an ombudsman maybe? Perhaps any known precedents known that would give leniency to a loyal customer?

I will pursue the matter with JB HiFi, however is my contract still connected to them?

Kind regards and thanks for your time I appreciate it.

Hi @SilberFuch 

I'll ping @Jupiter as he has more knowledge than me on Telstra products.

Telstra does use JBHiFi as a retail arm for their products. But I still would've thought it would have to be dealt with at the place of purchase.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

There is no cooling off period as you initiated the purchase (a 10 day cooling off period only applies where the seller initiates a cold call to the purchaser).

You are locked into the plan for 12 months. I can only see an offers that include a $300 or $400 gift card for the $69 per month plan.

The plan that you describe is a BYO offer from what I can tell, so the phone purchase itself was separate and you would have had to have paid JB HiFi for that upfront. Therefore, the gift card couldn't be used for the phone purchase unless you got the plan and then used the gift card to put towards the purchase of a phone.

You would probably have to deal with JB HiFi about the handset and Telstra for the plan. The ombudsman probably won't be able to assist as it would appear that neither JB HiFi or Telstra have breached any provisions of the code/regulations. It would be classed as a "change of mind by the customer" due to the advertisements on the website not being misleading in any way.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks for that Ozmoz!!

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for looking into this for me, very thorough and bang on. I should have paid more attention to the waver especially. Bummer for me, live and learn I guess.

Kind regards

@SilberFuch wrote:

Hi Jupiter,

Thanks for looking into this for me, very thorough and bang on. I should have paid more attention to the waver especially. Bummer for me, live and learn I guess.

Kind regards

Hi @SilberFuch 

Just to clarify something that I based my conclusion on?

Have you already received the mobile and activated the SIM?

Hello,

The SIM is not in a mobile as they only gave me the $500 gift card. The SIM has been activated by JB HiFi as I can see it in my billing in Telstra app. So I essentially have a $69 monthly bill for 12 months, for a $500 gift card :

=69/month for 12 monthsSmiley Sad

@SilberFuch wrote:

Hello,

The SIM is not in a mobile as they only gave me the $500 gift card. The SIM has been activated by JB HiFi as I can see it in my billing in Telstra app. So I essentially have a $69 monthly bill for 12 months, for a $500 gift card :

Hi @SilberFuch 

Ok, thanks for that. They activate the SIM before handing over the gift card. Which makes sense.

They are pretty good deals if you need to buy something else at JBHiFi, and with Black Friday sales coming up on the 27th November you could get something really nice at a great price.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit