rumj
Level 1: Cadet

Can't get a new Mobile connection - Account already exists?

Answered

Hi

My partner chatted to Telstra online and was offered a good package and when she accepted it and tried to resolve it online, they couldn't create an account. She's never had a Telstra phone before. She was asked to go to a Telstra shop. She went there today, and they initially said they've set it up, but can't offer the same package as online because the shop and online were different. Instead she could have a package that cost $10 more and had 2GB less data... or she could go back online.

A few minutes later, while my parter was talking to me on the phone discussing these options, they (the shop) said, no, they could not create the account as there is a problem. She was asked to talk to the credit manager.

She's never had a Telstra connection before.

Why this run-around? Is Telstra trying to back out after offering a good package?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't get a new Mobile connection - Account already exists?

The system has likely matched her details with an existing overdue account, or there may be an issue with her credit file which is causing the application to be referred for further scrutiny.

Unfortunately once it goes to the credit team (PACC) nobody else can override it, so she needs to call them and discuss the issue directly.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

The system has likely matched her details with an existing overdue account, or there may be an issue with her credit file which is causing the application to be referred for further scrutiny.

Unfortunately once it goes to the credit team (PACC) nobody else can override it, so she needs to call them and discuss the issue directly.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

rumj
Level 1: Cadet

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

It gets more and more ridiculous.They offered a package $10 off because she was coming to Telstra. BUT it seems that that is the exact reason for her being sent for credit check, as she has NO HISTORY with Telstra.

She faced an interrogation over the phone. Now she's been asked to provide her home ownership docs, citizenship certificate etc. Telstra seem to think that providing a $50 mobile package needs to be scrutinized like you are applying for a intergalactic loan. Sad really, because the only decent signal we receive at our new location is from Telstra, and because we'd gladly pay in advance if that would solve the issue. The voda coverage is absolute rot, and optus is about 2 -3 bars.

Looks like telstra is asking me to go to Optus.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit