Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Cancelling a mobile plan from overseas with all Covid-19 restrictions

Answered

Hi all, I'm at my wits end and am hoping someone can please help me out here.

I have moved back overseas, and my Telstra mobile plan finished in March this year. At that time I have been in touch with Telstra via chat to explore my options - at that time I was still considering changing to pre-paid. However I have now decided to end my plan and to give up my Australian phone number, as I no longer use my Australian number at all anymore.

After searching through the Telstra website I finally found a button that said 'cancel your plan' in the My Account section. However all it does is give you some information about additional costs, and then a link to 'live chat with us'. By clicking it, a pop up opens for Telstra 24x7 Chat. It then comes with the notification that due to Covid-19, they have limited customer support and to make changes through the Telstra App.

I have tried contacting Telstra by messaging through the app, however the page stays stuck on 'connecting', even after I left it for an hour. I also tried the online chat with the Codi bot, but here as well I find no answers, as I am directed to messaging through the app again, which doesn't seem to work for me. 

As a last resort I tried to call them on 0439 125 109 through Skype. It asked me for my mobile number and my DOB, which I provided, and then I got the message that 'due to Covid-19 we cannot help you with this enquiry', and to message them.

I have no idea how to proceed from here, I truly feel I have explored all my options. I obviously am unable to visit a store as I am overseas with no intention to return to Australia within the near future. I tried calling, chatting, and messaging, all without luck. I am extra annoyed because when I contacted them back in March I was able to talk to someone through both the message option on the app, as well as through the online chat. I fully understand that there are fewer people available to help with enquiries due to Covid-19, but this is just ridiculous. I also understand that they'll do anything they can to keep you on as their customer, but I also feel  that they made this unnecessarily difficult. 

Am I missing something? What else can I try? Does anyone happen to have a phone number for the mobile plan department or something? I would truly appreciate any help or advice as I have no idea what else I can do, other then stop paying for my bills.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Cancelling a mobile plan from overseas with all Covid-19 restrictions

Apologies for never replying to this, thank you for your suggestion!

I ended up sending a complaint through their online complaint form ( https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint?fbclid=IwAR1RaLINeJ5OKfH3KSJFuheam... ). I received a reply via email about three weeks later, after which the case was resolved and my number disconnected. They even honoured my request in not paying for the full billing period (which would have been until the 18th of May), and agreed with only having to pay until I made my official complaint (9th of May). 

It is worth noting that, even though I specifically mentioned that I'm in Europe (time difference!) and am no longer using my Telstra simcard, she apparently did try to ring me several times...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The only other contact method that you can try is by sending a message to the Telstra Twitter account. Consultants are monitoring that account and will get back to you within a few hours/couple of days. Obviously don't post identifying information, they will ask you to send a Direct Message with that information.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Apologies for never replying to this, thank you for your suggestion!

I ended up sending a complaint through their online complaint form ( https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint?fbclid=IwAR1RaLINeJ5OKfH3KSJFuheam... ). I received a reply via email about three weeks later, after which the case was resolved and my number disconnected. They even honoured my request in not paying for the full billing period (which would have been until the 18th of May), and agreed with only having to pay until I made my official complaint (9th of May). 

It is worth noting that, even though I specifically mentioned that I'm in Europe (time difference!) and am no longer using my Telstra simcard, she apparently did try to ring me several times...

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit