jasnick
Level 10: Junior Detective

Cannot make calls inside

Answered

Cannot use mobiles inside the house at all. Would love to get a smartphone but need to improve reception. 

I understand that repeaters are illegal in Australia?   I have seen some advertised on Australian websites that claim to  give fantastic reception.

What other options are there for improving the mobile signal?  Internet (ADSL)  is OK just no mobiles.

Don't want to have the mobile tethered to an aerial or base - want it to be mobile!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jasnick
Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot make calls inside

Additional $84 for something that is just plugged into a power point? I don't thinks so! I am just as capable as a technician of trying it in different powerpoints for the best reception.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
TimH
Level 2: Rookie

You should first check your mobile phone before you worry about buying any additional hardware. The best chance you've got of receiving reception on the NextG network is with a blue tick device. More info about blue tick devices can be found here.

Now I am not sure if repeaters are illegal in Australia, but Telstra does offer a solution if a blue tick device still fails to receive decent reception. The Mobile Smart Antenna is primarily targetted (and priced) towards small business, but may be worth a look if you're willing to invest some money into it. Info about the Mobile Smart Antenna can be found here.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@jasnick wrote:

Cannot use mobiles inside the house at all. Would love to get a smartphone but need to improve reception. 

I understand that repeaters are illegal in Australia?   I have seen some advertised on Australian websites that claim to  give fantastic reception.

Unauthorised Repeaters are illegal under the Telecommunications Act. Repeaters issued by a Telco (and authorised by a Telco) are (or should be) legal.

@jasnick wrote:

What other options are there for improving the mobile signal?  Internet (ADSL)  is OK just no mobiles.

Don't want to have the mobile tethered to an aerial or base - want it to be mobile!

As has been mentioned, it could be your hardware or the type of connection you have. Do you live in a tin house (ie: covered in Sheet Metal all the way around?)

Are you also in a valley or on a hill, and are you in a coverage area

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jasnick

Thanks TimH and Ben_F

Re the Telstra Mobile Antenna - seems to be the only legal one - will have to check today to see if there is anywhere in the house where the phone can make a call - I get Limited Service on the screen.  Am assuming this must be a relatively new device?  We have given up talking about it to Telstra as they could never offer a solution before. No price mentioned!

Yes, our current mobiles are for rural areas but 2 years old. Would a smartphone produce a better result I wonder? 

Our house does have a tin roof and we are on a treed block in a bit of a low area. Nearest tower is to the north and 3.8k away - through a 5 acre treed block area .  Next is 5k to the south - national park in between us and it.

In a coverage area that says an external aerial  may be needed.

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

jasnick wrote:

No price mentioned!

There is a price shown on the first page of Telstra Mobile Smart Antenna - My offer summary (PDF, 111kB), to which there is a link on the page suggested by TimH (in the ‘More information’ section).

Would a smartphone produce a better result I wonder? 

That depends on the coverage rating of the individual model of handset. As with ‘dumb’ feature phones, a Blue Tick handset model will give you better reception ability than a non-Blue Tick one.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
jasnick

Thanks Drat - I hadn't got the far - not cheap, is it!  Willl have to talk to Telstra about it.

Ben_F

so $720 or $30 a month for 2 years?

New Users - Click Here!

jasnick

Very hard to justify that cost - I am sure the options on other suppliers are much cheaper -  for the femtocell thingy on Optus - I saw an article that mentioned $5 per month!

Unfortunately I have no other option but Telstra.

Ben_F

@jasnick wrote:

Very hard to justify that cost - I am sure the options on other suppliers are much cheaper -  for the femtocell thingy on Optus - I saw an article that mentioned $5 per month!

Unfortunately I have no other option but Telstra.

Actually its $15 a month on a $49 or $59 plan, and $10 on a $79 plan or above.

Still cheaper, however it doesn't take into account a range of different things such as the quality of the product etc. (which I can't vouch for as I haven't used it).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

jasnick

I'm going to forget that option - not worth the money.  It really annoys me that we are paying for a service that doesn't work.

Back to the drawing board!

Ben_F

@jasnick wrote:

I'm going to forget that option - not worth the money.  It really annoys me that we are paying for a service that doesn't work.

Back to the drawing board!

Due to the nature of Mobiles,  its to be expected.

As I was getting at, what material is your house made out of? I have a colleauge who lives in a house that is covered by corrugated iron. I can get a signal on the balcony (about 3-4 bars) but as soon as I go into the house I get nothing.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

wdtvandsound
Level 11: Detective

As an installer I would advise you to buy a Telstra Mobile Smart Antenna by calling 1800305307 and they will ask you to call Mobile faults on 125111 and ask for mobile faults.

Preferably 2 to 3 bars of signal on the average mobile phone in a good location on the phone tower side of the house that would be best.

For $720 delivered to you and an additional $84 a Telstra subby would place it in the best location. For best coverage as the WU & CU is to far apart or to close together you won't get the best signal or data quality.

If your Telstra 3G Next-G mobile phone can't get a consistent 2-3 bars Ph:1800305307 and order an Outside Yagi that is needed that is Supplied and Installed by a fully trained and certified Telstra Subby Tech (his Telstra info will be on his ID Tag) for $870 done, much like a TV Antenna install, very tidy!! The Telstra Mobile Smart Antenna will be installed with the Yagi Antenna with 20m range or even 30m+sometimes in Non-Metal buildings!!!!!!!!!!! With a minimum of 5 to 3bars @ 10 to 20m range on average.

Your phone won't run flat as fast and the data speed will improve massively when pointed by a Telstra Subby because the Yagi has to be pointed to one tower only, data errors can happen and Telstra's level 2 with the Tech will get it spot on!!!!!!

Get the Telstra PRO and get it done right the first time.

If there is a problem later on, then it will be sorted in the Telstra warranty without further cost to YOU.

You won’t get a signal warranty from any other installer!!!

This is my advice but not of Telstra's

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
jasnick
Accepted Solution

Additional $84 for something that is just plugged into a power point? I don't thinks so! I am just as capable as a technician of trying it in different powerpoints for the best reception.

View solution in original post

lemon
Level 4: Private Eye

I wouldnt be worried about the $84 for the install, but its not hard to work out where to point the smart antenna .

Theres an interesting guide at  locate.onwireless.net , I found on how to locate cell towers and draw a line path from your location to the tower.

Theres also a link to a online signal strength calculator there.
Now was that $720 for the smart antenna, plus $84 install, plus $870 for the Yagi Antenna?

Or $870 all up?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit