lightisdark
Level 2: Rookie

Carrier Billing on Android

I tried to add my postpaid back to my android but carrier billing wasn’t a option?  I reset the whole phone and does not come up as a payment method. I chatted with google and he said his manager said Telstra stopped it and only Vodafone and Optus do it. However a few months ago I could add it?  My account is in good standing. This can’t be right? I submitted an article to google showing Telstra does still support it and he said he is going to raise this further. 

Can anyone confirm they can’t do this anymore. Or willing to try and test it out if owning an android phone. To test it just go into a game or app uou have that has inapp purchases. Goto purchase something. It should have your current payment method but click that and see if it opens up a new screen that has the option to enable carrier billing

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Kristy210784

Re: Carrier Billing on Android

My in app purchase is telling me that telstra is unavailable. I am having this same issue. It is bugging me as i have a subscription that normally gets paid this way

lightisdark

Interesting. It has to be a google issue. I’ve raised it with them and all they say is if uou check out our supported carriers you will see only Vodafone and Optus is supported. I’m like well you can see in my purchase history that I billed to carrier not long ago. And he said he will look into it. Heard nothing back of course. 

mystery continues

Kristy210784

It's only been since the start of this month as last months subscription payment went through and i made an in app payment at the end of last month. I've only had this issue since the start of April. I hope it gets fixed soon as this is rather annoying. Im waiting on a resonse from telstra to see what they say. Hopefully they contact me soon

lightisdark

I feel your pain. And my onto google chat now. I’ve spoken to Telstra they said they still support it. I’ll paste screenshots on here if google tells me anything worthy

Kristy210784

Thank you, it will be great to see know their response

lightisdark

@Kristy210784 wrote:

Thank you, it will be great to see know their response

Here’s their reply. Disgusting!

finding out why now will post again if it’s something interesting

lightisdark

And finally

Where do we go from here?  Like seriously 

Kristy210784

I honestly dont know. The only other option is a google play gift card i suppose. It is crap though. Should be able to use our telstra billing service though if other providers can still do it

lightisdark

Someone has pulled the plug. I really am frustrated by it. Thanks for coming forward and letting me know u have the same issue

Kristy210784

No worries, thank you for sharing googles responses with me

Luke_Groves
Level 6: Bloodhound

Hey @lightisdark 

Telstra have removed the ability to charge Google Play 3rd party charges to your Telstra bill.

Telstra are trying the limit and stop any 'extra' charges from landing on customers accounts without their knowing.

It is suggested to now use another payment method for your Google Play services such as a Visa or Mastercard or voucher.

Luke |
Moving House: https://www.telstra.com.au/moving-house
Got a Fault: https://fix.telstra.com/
Need Contact: https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit