Donna1959
Level 2: Rookie

Casual Plan

Answered

I have just moved from Australia to overseas.  I have a upfront mobile plan extra large but now want to change to a casual plan.  I need to keep the same number as I return to Australia once a year.  I can't find anywhere to be able to change to a casual plan.  The 'bot' says I have to speak to someone but the phone charges are very high (even though it said there was a free international call number, I was charged).  I can't even find an email address.  I don't have the Telstra Sim in my phone now as I have a local number here.  Any help is appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Casual Plan

Just be aware that Prepaid services do not currently have access to international roaming, so activating the SIM for a Prepaid service may not be possible whilst outside of Australia.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Donna1959
Accepted Solution

Hi Steve,

yes I was using my Telstra Sim and i was charged the roaming fee.  It was a monthly prepaid service.  I was using My Telstra app and the answer to my message, in fact any question I asked to 'the bot' was that I need to talk to a human!  There are no email addresses to try to get this sorted.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

The free international call rate would be for when you are using your Telstra SIM? Is that the one you were using?

Is this a Post Paid or Prepaid service, I believe the casual plans are only for prepaid.

If you have a Telstra Account with Telstra ID, the best option might be use the web page for My Account and then go to Get Help and use the small blue 'Message Us' button to start a chat session.. 

You could do the same via the My Telstra app if you have it, but you may have to set that up first.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Just be aware that Prepaid services do not currently have access to international roaming, so activating the SIM for a Prepaid service may not be possible whilst outside of Australia.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Donna1959
Accepted Solution

Hi Steve,

yes I was using my Telstra Sim and i was charged the roaming fee.  It was a monthly prepaid service.  I was using My Telstra app and the answer to my message, in fact any question I asked to 'the bot' was that I need to talk to a human!  There are no email addresses to try to get this sorted.

Donna1959

thanks Jupiter.  It appears to be impossible to try to get any help outside Australia.

Jupiter

On the Telstra Upfront Mobile Plan, you would have been charged for the International Day Pass as your phone would have registered with an eligible overseas network when you inserted the SIM and restarted the phone. The International Day Pass is the only way to use a Telstra Upfront Mobile Plan overseas, the old method of just using PAYG rates doesn't exist.

You shouldn't have been charged any extra for the call to +61 439 12 5109 (which is a "technically" free call).

Telstra does not use email for customer service. If you do wish to discuss your options, then using the chat function in the My Telstra app or sending a message to the Telstra Twitter or Facebook accounts would be the best options. In the My Telstra chat, try typing "Speak to a consultant" until it puts you in the queue. Note: operating hours are typically Australian Office Hours for non-urgent issues.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit