SinDee
Level 2: Rookie

Charged a month before using new sim & phone!!

Answered

Why am I being charged for my new phone and sim a whole month before I even use it? Shouldn't you be charged from the minute you turn on phone and use sim hence the terms charge for usage?

The customer service said the charge starts from when the order is received! Unacceptable!

Is it just me or has the quality of our customer service dramatically declined since the aftermath of covid.

Once upon a time the service was **bleep**ing amazing, now I have to go through at least 5 different telstra persons over weeks to achieve a lot of conflicting information... They certainly aren't training them like they use to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Charged a month before using new sim & phone!!

The charges should start from when you receive the phone and SIM not from when you placed the order. You do get charged a month in advance but you get a refund for any remaining credit when service is canceled.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Telstra have used the Pay In Advance process for a long time, most other telcos do the same..  The theory is, that when you end the service arrangement (not the device payment arrangement which is different), you don't get billed for the last month. In reality there will be some charges for calls etc. depending on usage.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Accepted Solution

The charges should start from when you receive the phone and SIM not from when you placed the order. You do get charged a month in advance but you get a refund for any remaining credit when service is canceled.

View solution in original post

SinDee
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for your reply... I thought pay in advance applied to other contracts like rent lol I've definitely never had this problem before only been with telstra 4 years on my 5th samsung upgrade & I've never never had the last month off because of paying a month in advance. 

I received the phone 2 days ago picked it up from post shop put new sim in which came 2 weeks earlier??

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

There have been a few changes to how Telstra bill over the years..  but as far as I can remember, mobiles have always been a month in advance (and I have often had to argue with them to have to not pay the last month - but it has been good lately).

Now the plans are a bit different - the service (number) plan itself is month to month in most cases, so any 'plan' you sign up for is actually the 'device repayment' plan over however many months you took it on...

That's why the service listed on your bill usually states 'out of contract' (because you no longer have a contract for the service itself). Confusing much!

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit