Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Cheapest way to keep number active little or no use

I am overseas and cannot use my current plan which expires in April. I want to keep my number and have the ability to buy a day pass every now and then to hear messages etc what is my cheapest option? Prepaid or plan?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Cheapest way to keep number active little or no use

That is going to depend on what plan you are currently on (some have international usage included) and how often you are going to use it. Changing from Post Paid to PrePaid whilst overseas can also be tricky.

With Prepaid, you cannot use the Day Pass, you will have to use Credit (that is not included in your plan allowance - it is extra credit), which can make it messy as well.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Ok, im not really going to use whatever plan i buy be it prepaid or plan. But I have had that number for years and when i go back to Australia i want to be anle to keep it active. So what is the minimum post plan? will there be a charge for going to a new plan? What is the minimum term on a plan? For prepaid the same questiond
Highlighted

There shouldn't be any recontracting fee once your current contract runs out.

The cheapest PrePaid would currently be the 365 day expiry for $100
https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates#long-life-plus

The cheapest PostPaid would be $49 per month
https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/sim-only-plans#existing

If you switch to PrePaid, just make sure that they don't need to send you out a new SIM as they can't be sent overseas.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Hello
It may be wise to have a chat with the Disconnections Dept as they tend to have their own special plans to keep a customer. If you ring 132200 between 8.30am to 8.30pm AEDT your call should be answered in Adelaide .
Thanks
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

As you are overseas, call +61 439 125 109
Highlighted

That is not feasible from the UK. I tried doing that once with vodaphone to cancel a service and after 30 minutes being transferred and having to sit through their terms and conditions, I had exceeded my monthly cap of £30. The call was terminated and I still hadn't been able to cancel.
Highlighted

If you have your phone with your Telstra SIM in it, then the call to +61 439 125 109 is a free call.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit