Peter89
Level 1: Cadet

Companion plans for telstra premium mobile

Hi
I am currently on the $195 premium mobile plan which allows for up to 2 companion plans for $5 each that share the data and have unlimited calls.
Looking at the new $199 premium plus plan which seems to be the replacement to the $195 plan. In the critical information summary it mentions that an eligible service to share data is a companion plan.

I have however heard that the $5 companion plans are no longer offered or available.

Is this correct? If so why have premium mobile customers lost such a key value source for their plan? Can something be done to change this for high value customers?

Thanks,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Companion plans for telstra premium mobile

The current Premium mobile offering no longer offers the 2 additional $5 companion sims that were available on the previous incarnation of the plan.

They can however shared data with already active companion sims on the same account.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Peter89

Thanks.  So does anyone know what happens to the voice component of existing companion plans if I upgrade to the new premium mobile plan?

Do they lose the ability to make calls?  

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Peter89, 

Our Billing team via secure Live Chat here:  http://tel.st/hsc3 can look into this and follow up for you. 

Let us know how you go. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ashman

Hi Peter89, what was the outcome of this? I'm not getting a definitive answer on this either.

CiaoBella

I am also having difficulties with this one. I am currently on a Go Mobile Plus Plan 135, eligible Plan to have the Go Mobile Plus Companion Plan (@$5p/m) added. We had this confirmed in May, in writing when initial enquiries were made and literature was provided in store. We returned in store 4 weeks ago and was advised we could still continue with the above mentioned. Over the Christmas break, we purchased outright a new device ($1k+ later). We purchased the new phone as my husbands contract had ended (which we confirmed in our December visit) and his old phone needed replacing. Long run, it was cost effective for us to go down this route which is why I signed up to this plan in May in the first place.

We visited the same store today, only to be told their store has new owners it’s now a franchise and whatever we were told in December doesn’t count as it was different management (despite it still being a Telstra store). I looked up the literature again online and there is still the PDF information for the Go Mobile Plus Companion Plan. I showed this to the staff member and was told it doesn’t exist. It was all done and over with in October (if in fact true, why were we not advised in December?). The manager must have been too busy to come out and speak with us, despite the staff member going ‘out the back’ at least 5 times to confirm our queries with him.

We left the store with no resolution.

I have since contacted the Telstra Chat, and they cannot confirm companion sim information. They have advised they can only confirm data share sim options.

I also contacted Telstra via Facebook messenger to be advised they can see the literature I am referring to, however can not find any details further when they search on their internal system. They suggested following through with their Complaints Manager.

I have since lodged a Complaint via completing the online form.

I have also lodged a complaint with the ombudsman.
steve127

Same happened- I was convinced by the salesperson to sign up to a $135 plan - with the ability to add a $5 companion sim when my wife's plan ran out (Dec). Went into store - they said don't do it anymore, complained went online they said I am not eligible - yet I have signed contract and even had the salesperson stipulate this on the contract..... Still in conflict with resolution team. How can you sign someone up to a plan on a contract and not honor this??

Deceitful and misleading conduct by Telstra that I am sure the ACCC will be happy to handle. 

Dj181

I’m on the 195$ Plan and was also promised the companion sim as a benefit. It’s also in the critical information summary that was sent to me when I signed the contract. When I went into store recently they said they do not offer it (companion sim) anymore and nothing they can do. I just lodged a complaint with TIO to resolve. A contract is a contract.
PJMQLD

Hi, I am also now in the same situation and am waiting for a reply from the complains department. Have you had your issues resolved? I think I am going to ask for a refund of the plan as this was the only reason I signed up for it!
PJMQLD

Any luck with the ombudsman?
PJMQLD

I also am very disappointed and was tricked into signed up for this plan for this companion plan benefit and now for them to say I can only get a data companion plan with $1/min and 75cent SMS charges! On top of that they disconnected the phone in activating it and the phone was out of action for a whole day... (well it still is).

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit