mattbastin
Level 4: Private Eye

Data Usage

Answered

Hi

Does anybody know how I can review my previous bill's data usage? I have been hit with a substantial bill which I wish to contest and yet have no evidence of when or what was accessed through my mobile phone. Telstra cannot tell me until tomorrow, and even though I have asked I do not understand why.

Also when the limit is reached why cannot the internet connection simply cut out and then SMS come throughg with "if you wish to proceed you will be charged at 25c per MB. Do you wish to proceed?"

I know that the cut off limit could not be exactly pin pointed especially if data is already downloading.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Data Usage

mattbastin wrote:

Can I ask you do you think that the rate is set at a fair price?

Yes, I do, actually. I've also pointed out just now in your other thread that 25c per MB is the current market price for PAYG mobile data consumption on post-paid plans with mobile carriers (as opposed to MVNOs).

If I over use mobile data am I impeding fellow users in the vicinity? Am I creating a burden on the network so much so that the charges need to be set to compensate the effect?

Who cares about that? The market price is not set to be punitive or otherwise as a deterrent. If you want to use data, then the mobile carriers are happy to let you use it to your heart's content at the published rate. If you don't like the price, you don't have to use it.

If your use of the network unreasonably impacts its performance for other customers, I'm sure it's already in the terms and conditions of your service agreement that the provider can suspend your service.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Telstra are not able to (and as such will not) tell you what was accessed or caused the data usage.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
mattbastin

Thanks!

How do we know then if an error has occurred or not? If an usuccessful download was aborted is this still charged? For example what if the host machine providing the data continues to re-try unbeknownst to me? 

Drat

mattbastin wrote:

Also when the limit is reached why cannot the internet connection simply cut out and then SMS come throughg with "if you wish to proceed you will be charged at 25c per MB. Do you wish to proceed?"

The simple technical reason is that the IT systems in place do not provide the described functionality, because it was never a business/functional requirement when the systems were designed.

The simple business reason is that the mobile service provider does not offer the described functionality as one of the features of its service offerings, and has no obligation to offer or provide it.

Your electricity provider does not proactively monitor your usage within a bill period (typically a quarter), advise you of excessive usage or charges past a particular level set or agreed by you as the consumer, and request your permission before allowing you to proceed and consume more (at your additional expense, of course). Neither does your gas supplier, nor does your water supplier.

They also do not care why you're consuming electricity/gas/water, and do not monitor or record how you incurred billable usage.

How do we know then if an error has occurred or not? 

An error in usage accounting at the network element or billing system level, or an error at the user's application level?

If an usuccessful download was aborted is this still charged? For example what if the host machine providing the data continues to re-try unbeknownst to me? 

Of course it is charged, as it should be. The usage took place. If you inadvertently left the air-conditioning on when you're away for the weekend, or your TV malfunctioned and woke itself up from standby when nobody was watching, electricity is still used and you as the customer would still be charged for the consumption. If your taps are leaky, or you accidentally overfill your bath, water is still being consumed even if you get no benefit from it, and you would still be charged.

Why should network data traffic be any different? I understand it is ‘advanced’ technology compared to gas and electricity, but the data traffic itself is not designed to be ‘smart’ and take the consumer's perspective into account.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
mattbastin

Drat

Why are you doing this?

Drat

mattbastin wrote:

Drat

Why are you doing this?

You asked why, so I gave you the answer. I don't care about your desired outcome, but knowledge is something I'm happy to share from time to time.

——

mattbastin

@Drat wrote:

Of course it is charged, as it should be. The usage took place. If you inadvertently left the air-conditioning on when you're away for the weekend, or your TV malfunctioned and woke itself up from standby when nobody was watching, electricity is still used and you as the customer would still be charged for the consumption. If your taps are leaky, or you accidentally overfill your bath, water is still being consumed even if you get no benefit from it, and you would still be charged.

Why should network data traffic be any different? I understand it is ‘advanced’ technology compared to gas and electricity, but the data traffic itself is not designed to be ‘smart’ and take the consumer's perspective into account.

If I over use mobile data am I impeding fellow users in the vicinity? Am I creating a burden on the network so much so that the charges need to be set to compensate the effect?

Drat
Accepted Solution

mattbastin wrote:

Yes, I do, actually. I've also pointed out just now in your other thread that 25c per MB is the current market price for PAYG mobile data consumption on post-paid plans with mobile carriers (as opposed to MVNOs).

Who cares about that? The market price is not set to be punitive or otherwise as a deterrent. If you want to use data, then the mobile carriers are happy to let you use it to your heart's content at the published rate. If you don't like the price, you don't have to use it.

If your use of the network unreasonably impacts its performance for other customers, I'm sure it's already in the terms and conditions of your service agreement that the provider can suspend your service.

——

View solution in original post

Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Mattbastin, 

In answer to your question about overusing data, it can be having an affect on the people in your area too. 

When you are using data, you are taking up a space in our Mobile Tower, and each tower can only have a maximum number of services actively in use at any one time. 

If everyone was able to use as much data as they liked on Mobile Services whether they be Mobile Phones, or Mobile Broadband services, you'd find that the Mobile Towers would struggle to support the load and Network Congestion would become more prevalent. You can find examples of this in some CBD's during business hours. We have to continue to expand our network in these areas to cope with the extra demand that is put on the network by the sheer volume of people trying to access the network at once.

At the same time, adding the extra capacity also increases our costs, as we have to install and maintain the additional equipment needed to increase the capacity. 

With the amount we charge for additional usage, it is kind of a balancing act, between ensuring the charge is a reasonable charge, and ensuring it isn't too low as the lower the charge, the more likely you are to use additional usage. 

Hope this helps explain it a bit. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

In the words of George W. Bush - You will fill up the tube that is the internets

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

CSUser379
Level 1: Cadet

Yes. Telstra cannot provide the sites that were accessed or what has been downloaded/uploaded for privacy purposes. You would not want them to know what video have you watched and what picture you have downloaded/uploaded, yes?Smiley Happy

arf1

so let me get this straight, in my case I have never exceeded my plan usage yet in one day in November I used more than one third of my monthly plan but Telstra cannot tell me why? The only place I can ask a question is online from the crowd? What sort of service/technology is that apart from useless!

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I am confused as to why you believe that members on this forum can offer you any more information that was not available to staff that you have spoken to previously.

Nobody can tell you what that data was used for unless you were actively recording your usage via some kind of monitoring tool. In this case we can offer suggestions to help you identified what caused the usage for example;

Do you know what you were doing on that day that may have contributed?

Do you have automatic updates enabled?

Have you installed any new software?

Do you use file sharing software?

Does anyone else in the household have access to the computer?

If you are using a mobile phone that is running Android 4.0 or iOS 7 then usage is recorded on the handset broken down by apps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Wadejarv

Can anyone let me know if I can identify the computer that the data usage was assigned to or whether Telstra can tell me this? My partner and I have two computers using a telstra 4g modem but have been hit with unusually excessive data usage for two months over summer. My aunt from overseas has been visiting and has her own computer so we would like to eliminate this possibility before investigaiting further. I downloaded from telstra the advanced data but it only has date and data amount. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Wadejarv, for security reasons the details on our account systems only log amounts of usage and the connection times rather than any detailled information about the source of the usage (such as sites visited, apps or programs using the connection, or files downloaded).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

JohnJ3

Can someone advise me how I can monitor my online Wi Fi data usage through My Bigpond. I am told I can do it but I have tried to locate where without success. JohnJ3

JesseS
Support Team
Support Team

Hey JohnJ3

You can definitely monitor your usage through My Account and the Telstra 24x7 App. 

Login or register here: http://tel.st/cpyn and you can access your account details, including usage. Once you have registered for My Account, you go to the App Store or Google Play to download the 24x7 App.

Thanks

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit